[ATTW-L] ATTW Workshop with More Than Memos

Liddle, Daniel daniel.liddle at wku.edu
Thu Jun 1 17:44:31 UTC 2023

Hello everyone!

I'm writing to spread the word about our workshop, "Tech Comm IRL - Co-Creating Video Examples of TPC with More Than Memos," at the ATTW conference next week. If you're already planning on attending the conference, we hope you'll attend our workshop as well. The goal of the workshop is to spread useful examples of tech comm using the More Than Memos<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVG156ZeainZGX0nR-BMmnQ> YouTube Channel.

Though examples are important to pedagogy, it's not always clear how examples circulate in the field. Where do you find your best examples of tech comm? By "examples," we mean manuals, forms, instructions, memos, diagrams, booklets, videos, infographics, and really any kind of example of technical communication that gets you and (potentially) your students excited about tech comm. We're hoping you bring examples that are strange, fun, joyous, or odd - the kind of examples that get people interested in working with these genres.

We are hoping to talk about how examples circulate and then contribute to that circulation by asking participants to create videos about their favorite examples at the end of the session. The goal is for participants to record the "talking head" footage discussing their specific example, and then we will edit and publish these videos on the MTM <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVG156ZeainZGX0nR-BMmnQ> YouTube channel and spread them on social media roughly 3 - 5 weeks after the conference.

What To Bring: At least one example of a tech comm that informs and inspires your imagination of what tech comm can be. You don't need to necessarily have a physical object or to print anything-we can add any digital examples directly into the video edit.

Workshop Outline:

1.    Discuss the nature of examples generally. How do they circulate? What makes a good example? What can video presentations add?

2.    Show-N-Tell of examples by workshop participants with the group

3.    Overview of basic video production practices to keep in mind

4.    Time for participants to record their talking head footage and submit to a central Google Drive folder, with facilitators available for troubleshooting.

I'm happy to answer questions about the workshop off-list at daniel.liddle at wku.edu<mailto:daniel.liddle at wku.edu>! We hope to see you there.

Dan