[ATTW-L] MA Program in Rhetoric and Writing Studies at San Diego State University Accepting Applications

Jennifer Sheppard jsheppard at sdsu.edu
Mon Nov 27 20:28:12 UTC 2023

Dear Colleagues,

Please encourage interested students to apply to the MA program in Rhetoric and Writing Studies at San Diego State University. We are one of the only independent writing departments on the west coast. We have faculty that specialize in composition, professional writing, writing center studies, sustainability, and cultural, digital, multimodal, and gender rhetorics.

Our program offers three options for tailoring students’ experiences including specializations in the teaching of writing and professional writing. Many of our courses in professional communication are community-connected, helping students prepare for workplace writing through service learning projects, internships, and partnerships with alumni. Additionally, students have opportunities to teach in our lower division writing program, tutor in the campus writing center, and work in our embedded tutor program. TAs receive a stipend and half-time tuition waiver. More information about the program can be found at: https://rhetoric.sdsu.edu/academics/graduate

San Diego is also a beautiful and vibrant place to live! Beyond more than 70 miles of coast and bay shorelines and great weather, we have ample access to hiking, biking, cultural events, collegiate and professional sports, and the diverse U.S.-Mexico border region.

Interested students are welcome to contact me at jsheppard at sdsu.edu <mailto:jsheppard at sdsu.edu> for more information about our program or the application process <https://rhetoric.sdsu.edu/academics/graduate#:~:text=Step%201%3A%20Apply%20to%20the%20University>. The short California State University system portion of our application is due by December 15, and our program application via Interfolio is due by January 17. We do not require GRE scores.

Best,
Jenny

Dr. Jenny Sheppard
Pronouns: she/her/hers
Assistant Professor and Graduate Advisor
Department of Rhetoric and Writing Studies
San Diego State University
Indigenous Residents: Kumeyaay
jsheppard at sdsu.edu <mailto:jsheppard at sdsu.edu>