[ATTW-L] Participation Request: 15 Minute Interviews

Ponce, Timothy timothy.ponce at uta.edu
Mon Oct 2 17:37:53 UTC 2023

**Sorry for the cross post.**
Our names are Dr. Timothy Ponce and Dr. Rhonda Stanton, and we are inviting you to participate in a short, 15-minute interview as part of a UT Arlington IRB approved research study titled, “Course Supplements in Technical Writing Classrooms.” Through these interviews, we seek to better understand how TPW instructors use course supplements (e.g., textbooks, online videos, guest speakers) in their classrooms.

If you are willing to participate, you can schedule a meeting my emailing Dr. Ponce at ponce at uta.edu<mailto:ponce at uta.edu> or Dr. Stanton at RhondaStanton at MissouriState.edu<mailto:RhondaStanton at MissouriState.edu>.

If you decide to participate in this research study, the list of activities that we will ask you to complete for the research are 1) answer questions about your teaching practices and 2) review a transcript of our conversation.

It should take about 15-20 min for the interview and about 5-10 min for you to review the transcript, which we will email to you once transcribed. Interviews will be conducted via Teams or face-to-face. Both kinds of interviews will be audio recorded and transcribed, and pseudonyms will be used in the transcripts to help protect the identities of participants.

When you review the transcripts, you will have the chance to verify and edit the content as you see fit.

This research study is about understanding the current course supplements used in technical writing classrooms at institutions of higher education. You can choose to participate in this research study if you are at least 18 years old and work as an administrator in a technical writing program at an institution of higher education. Reasons why you might want to participate in this study include sharing your experience in the teaching of technical writing, but you might not want to participate if you feel uncomfortable discussing your teaching practices. Your decision about whether to participate is entirely up to you. If you decide not to be in the study, there won’t be any punishment or penalty; whatever your choice, there will be no impact on any benefits or services that you would normally receive. Even if you choose to begin the study, you can also change your mind and quit at any time without any consequences.

Although you probably won’t experience any personal benefits from participating, the study activities are not expected to pose any additional risks beyond those that you would normally experience in your regular everyday life or during routine medical / psychological visits. You may also choose to skip or not answer any of the questions. You will not be paid for completing this study and there are no alternative options to this research. The research team is committed to protecting your rights and privacy as a research subject. We may publish or present the results, but your name will not be used. While absolute confidentiality cannot be guaranteed, the research team will make every effort to protect the confidentiality of your records as described here and to the extent permitted by law.

If you have questions about the study, you can contact Dr. Ponce at ponce at uta.edu<mailto:ponce at uta.edu> or Dr. Stanton at RhondaStanton at MissouriState.edu<mailto:RhondaStanton at MissouriState.edu>. For questions about your rights or to report complaints, contact the UTA Research Office at 817-272-3723 or regulatoryservices at uta.edu<mailto:regulatoryservices at uta.edu>.