[ATTW-L] Sharing an "Accessible Document Design Best Practices" guide we created that we hope you all find useful

Sean Zdenek seanzdenek at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 20:12:15 UTC 2023

Congrats to Jordan, Hannah, and CDQ for taking the lead on this important
topic for our journals and field.

My two cents: I think “accessible” is the best term in this context, but
I’d be curious to learn what others think. Through its title, the CDQ guide
is now connected to other guides and websites around the web that are
focused on making documents accessible for users with disabilities. I’m not
sure another term would have the same intertextual power or be able to
convey the guide's purpose at a glance. Several major organizations and
universities (including CCCCs <https://u.osu.edu/composingaccess/>, WebAIM
<https://webaim.org/techniques/word/>, and Section 508.gov
<https://www.section508.gov/create/documents/>) have published web pages
with titles such as creating accessible documents, composing access, etc.
All are focused on designing for disability. I agree with Jordan:
"accessibility" is the common term here.

That said, there’s obviously overlap between designing for disabled users
and designing for all (two examples: Universal Design and Search Engine
Optimization). And, as Jordan points out, disability is a wide-ranging
term. Several topics covered in Jordan’s guide—semantic headings, plain
language, descriptive link text (instead of “click here” links)—make
documents more usable for everyone. But the goals are not identical, even
though we have seen the interests of disabled and nondisabled users
converge around several accessibility practices—captioning being the best
example of interest convergence
<https://www.axios.com/2023/08/20/gen-z-millennials-tv-movies-subtitles>.

Best,

Sean Zdenek