[ATTW-L] JOB @ JHU: Teaching Track Faculty Position in Professional Communication (Closes 1/31/2024)

Julie Reiser juliereiser at jhu.edu
Wed Jan 3 20:03:13 UTC 2024

Dear Colleagues:

Please help us spread the word about our open position. This is a terrific job, and we will be hiring multiple people this year. I'm happy to answer any questions at julie.reiser at jhu.edu<mailto:julie.reiser at jhu.edu>. And, apologies for cross-posting :)

All the best,

Julie Reiser

Teaching-Track Faculty Position in Professional Communication
Johns Hopkins University

The Professional Communication Program (PCP) at Johns Hopkins University seeks candidates for a teaching-track faculty position in professional communication and technical writing. We are housed in The Center for Leadership Education (CLE), a vibrant, interdisciplinary center in the Whiting School of Engineering. Our program offers a broad range of undergraduate- and graduate-level courses in written and oral communication, including discipline-specific courses that emphasize experience-based, active learning techniques to help students gain confidence, clarity, adaptability, and self-awareness. We are also playing a significant role in reshaping JHU’s undergraduate first-year curriculum in the areas of communication, ethics, and diversity.

As part of our multi-candidate search, we are looking for long-term colleagues who want to build their careers with us. Unlike many traditional academic departments, the CLE features only teaching-track faculty on long-term revolving contracts. This means we have built and continue to build a long-running program that provides significant value to the Whiting School of Engineering and other campus partners.

We are seeking candidates who are primarily qualified in teaching writing and communication but who are also comfortable working in an interdisciplinary environment that emphasizes STEM innovation. All candidates must have strong, positive teaching evaluations and be committed to continuing to develop themselves as teachers. Successful candidates will have expertise in at least one of the following areas:

  *   professional/technical writing and communication

  *   public speaking and oral communication

  *   rhetoric of environment, public health, medicine, science, or technology

  *   history and ethics of STEM

  *   STEM communication and policy

  *   ESL/ELL

  *   improvisational techniques

  *   storytelling with data

  *   tutoring and writing center consultation

The teaching load for this position is three courses each fall and spring (a total of six courses per year). All communication courses are taught in-person and have small enrollment caps. While the candidate’s primary responsibilities will be focused on the undergraduate curriculum, opportunities exist to develop and teach graduate-level courses. Candidates may also participate in the PCP’s new Technical Communication Lab.

The starting salary for this position is $85,000. Faculty who demonstrate meaningful contributions in teaching and service are eligible to be promoted along a well-defined path where each step offers a longer-term contract and increased pay. The position carries generous benefits, including:

  *   Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, among other optional coverage plans, for both employees, domestic partners, and dependents

  *   A 403(b) 4/8 retirement plan and other well-being programs

  *   Generous family and medical leave

  *   Commuter assistance program and mass-transit subsidy

  *   Tuition aid for spouses and children, including a grant covering 50% of each dependent child’s full-time undergraduate tuition

  *   The JHU “Live Near Your Work” program providing financial incentives to home-buyers in designated Baltimore City neighborhoods (up to $17,000)

Baltimore is a wonderful, affordable, charming city in which to live, work, and raise a family. It has a rich and diverse heritage, world-class art institutions such as the Baltimore Museum of Art and Walters Art Museum, a world-renowned aquarium, the Peabody Library, vibrant jazz and music scene, as well as other cultural treasures. It’s also located close to New York, Philadelphia, and Washington, DC–all of which are easily and cheaply accessible by train.

Qualifications:

Candidates must possess an advanced degree and demonstrate teaching capability in a field such as writing, public speaking, English, technical communication, rhetoric/composition, or other relevant area. Candidates with advanced degrees or professional backgrounds in STEM are especially encouraged to apply. Candidates who are ABD or who have a master’s-level degree will be considered if they also bring substantial professional experience.

The committee is conducting a broad and inclusive search and is committed to identifying candidates who, through their teaching and service, will contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community. Johns Hopkins University is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, marital status, pregnancy, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, other legally protected characteristics, or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria.

Application Instructions:

Applicants should submit the following materials to Interfolio no later than January 31, 2024. http://apply.interfolio.com/135205<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://apply.interfolio.com/135205__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!bOw-B4BDPaRqRGtxoJ-799_Dz6-q2JdPVtBWZop1P6dOaCoWSDZ688voCU9Fqn7IcwiceNV-NdeTsVuMHUxNuihu$>

  *   cover letter

  *   curriculum vitae

  *   sample syllabus from a recent, relevant writing/communication course

We will request three letters of recommendation, teaching statement, and other materials for finalist candidates who advance through our multi-stage interview process. Please address any questions to julie.reiser at jhu.edu<mailto:julie.reiser at jhu.edu>. For more information, please visit: https://engineering.jhu.edu/cle/programs-minors/professional-communication-program/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://engineering.jhu.edu/cle/programs-minors/professional-communication-program/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!bOw-B4BDPaRqRGtxoJ-799_Dz6-q2JdPVtBWZop1P6dOaCoWSDZ688voCU9Fqn7IcwiceNV-NdeTsVuMHfdUseex$>