[ATTW-L] [External] Ethical Question about TC Peer Review

George Hayhoe HAYHOE_G at mercer.edu
Thu Jan 4 16:42:41 UTC 2024

In replying yesterday, I accidentally responded only to Mike and not to the list.

I’ve served as editor-in-chief of two of the major journals in the field (Technical Communication and IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication). Both of these journals employ double-anonymous reviewing, as do the vast majority of academic journals.

Mike didn't explain why he thought his reviewing practice is unfair to authors. Indeed, the rationale behind its adoption in the first place, as I understand it, was to protect those who are building professional reputations from the bias of the “old guard” who might not be familiar with their prior work, if any. In other words, it allows all researchers to start for an equal footing, whether they are full professors or graduate students.

Similarly, from the reviewer’s perspective, it allows a variety of reviewer points of view to enter the marketplace of ideas, not just a “house point of view.” Depending on the manuscript topic, I’ve always tried to seek out a range of reviewers and viewpoints, from experienced academics to grad students, as well as research-savvy practitioners. The results aren’t always ideal, but I’ve been generally very pleased with the seriousness with which my colleagues have approached the task, and authors have been generous with their praise of the process and the feedback that they have received.

Both Joanna and Mary make excellent points in their responses, by the way, as does Joseph below.

—George Hayhoe

Professor emeritus, Mercer University School of Engineering
Editor-in-Chief, IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication
Life Fellow, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
Fellow, Society for Technical Communication

hayhoe_g at mercer.edu

+1 828 318 9684

[unknown.jpg]