[ATTW-L] Tech Comm Examples - Call For Submissions

Liddle, Daniel daniel.liddle at wku.edu
Wed Mar 20 15:17:57 UTC 2024

Hi Everyone!

I'm writing to you to announce that we're trying something a little new with More Than Memos<http://www.youtube.com/@morethanmemos>. Last summer through ATTW we produced a series of four short videos on Tech Comm Examples<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJBJWirAkIu0-nRz_d_tH3D0798L20Hjo>. We received a ton of feedback about the benefits of this kind of video format, and over the next few months we'd like to collect some more examples to put on the channel.

To participate, all you need to do is:

1.      Pick a favorite example of TPC. By "examples," we mean manuals, forms, instructions, memos, diagrams, booklets, videos, infographics, and really any kind of example of technical communication that gets you and (potentially) your students excited about tech comm. We're hoping for examples that are important, strange, fun, joyous, or odd - the kind of examples that get people interested in working with these genres.

2.      Film yourself talking about your example for 2-5 minutes. Using your phone or webcam, record yourself introducing your example and why you find it valuable/inspiring/useful as an example of technical communication. For technical advice, check out this document<https://docs.google.com/document/d/17oa23NjRCqJj7VgQ5qruAss_S3iq_TytBpFPjwQuPqs/edit?usp=sharing> with some guidelines and FAQs.

3.      Send us the video! Using our Google form<https://forms.gle/HFRMcjSKxmM2iKkQ9>, you can upload your video as well as any links/documents for the example that we can add as b-roll to the video.

4.      We will publish these examples together as a short series late in the summer of 2024. You can see examples of what we're going for in the examples from last fall:

Tech Comm Examples: Black Forager - Enoki vs Deadly Galerina<https://youtu.be/w7LgNImjAyo?si=SM4oQPhWKeFNl6rj>

Tech Comm Examples: Una Historia Invisible Para La Justica<https://youtu.be/qJ87BmXw7Es?si=jfCWDflBJ3BTvu8f>

Tech Comm Examples: The 2014 Sony Letter to Employees Regarding Internal Hack<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlXS0Z8BBwU&ab_channel=MoreThanMemos>

Tech Comm Examples - The Berkshire Hathaway Website<https://youtu.be/lSzLZoRZiHk?si=oKqWdbPax0G2Sevo>

- - -

The deadline for submissions is Friday, May 3rd 2024. We're happy to accept submissions from faculty or graduate students, so please pass this on to relevant channels. If you have any questions about these videos, please email me directly at daniel.liddle at wku.edu

We appreciate your time, labor, expertise, and service.

Happy Spring,

Dan