[ATTW-L] Halcyon Lawrence's Memorial Fund announcement

Jianfen Chen jchenlearning at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 14:23:13 UTC 2024

I am passing along this information on behalf of Professor Erin Fehskens,
Chair of the English Department at Towson University.

Dear Friends of Halcyon,

I'm writing to you as the late Halcyon Lawrence's department chair with
some news about how we're recognizing Halcyon's legacy and importance at
Towson. I and others in my department are grateful for the outpouring of
support that your organization has shown toward ensuring Halcyon's legacy
in your field.

If you'd like to take part in our efforts to honor her at Towson, read on.

With the support of the TU Foundation, we have established a "Dr. Halcyon
Lawrence Memorial Fund." When we reach $1000 in this account, we will
purchase a bench in Halcyon's memory, to be designated as such outside the
College of Liberal Arts building, which was Halcyon's professional home for
just over five years. Though it's only by accident of landscaping and
arrangement, I'm very happy that the bench will face south, towards the
center of campus and, more distantly, towards Halcyon's home island of
Trinidad. A bench is also the perfect structure to accommodate individual
contemplation or conversation with another, which honors Halcyon's
deliberative thoughtfulness in all things, as well as her dedication to
listening to others and to taking her time in getting to know folks and
supporting them.

I shared this project with Patricia, Halcyon's sister, and she was so happy
to hear about it because she, too, will install a bench at her mother's
home in a memorial space where she will eventually deposit Halcyon's ashes.
I certainly like the idea of a sister bench in Trinidad and hope that you
do, too.

Any funds donated into the account above $1000 will be used to support
students in the English department, as one of Halcyon's most enduring
concerns was making sure that our students' financial encumberments didn't
pose an obstacle to their success.

If you'd like to contribute any amount to this fund, please follow these
instructions:

1. Go to: https://towsonuniversity.givingfuel.com/towson-fund
<https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftowsonuniversity.givingfuel.com%2Ftowson-fund&data=05%7C02%7Cjianfenchen%40towson.edu%7C3267d9d5f53840de951208dc4cd3e527%7Ccbf9739249f649dda8a619f710efcc35%7C0%7C0%7C638469720168853345%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C0%7C%7C%7C&sdata=spfVAdj7GUZWwLVFERbM%2Fo7w7Eaa24Adsmf2xgFNPFg%3D&reserved=0>
2. Fill out the form with the donation amount, etc.
3. From the drop-down menu for "Select Fund," choose "Other Programs or
Projects"
4. Write "Dr. Halcyon Lawrence Memorial Fund" in the text box that appears.
The text next to the box will be this: "Please indicate the program or
project you would like to support"
5. Continue to fill in the necessary information and submit the form.

If you would rather write a check, make the check payable to the TU
Foundation. Included in the memo section: H. Lawrence Memorial Fund or
#15193. Mail the check to:
Towson University Foundation, Inc.
P.O. Box 17165
Baltimore, MD 21297-0219

Thanks for thinking about Halcyon,

Erin Fehskens, PhD

Professor and Chair  |  English | Towson University