[ATTW-L] USU's Center for Intersectional Gender Studies and Research Lecture: Sara Ahmed

Jones, Natasha jonesn30 at msu.edu
Fri Feb 3 18:51:11 UTC 2023

Announcement on behalf of Avery Edenfield (Utah State University)

Hi everyone! USU's Center for Intersectional Gender Studies and Research is sponsoring a lecture by Sara Ahmed, one of the most renown feminist scholars alive today. She will be speaking virtually from the UK on Feb. 22 at 10 a.m. Per her request, the talk is open to the public and will not be recorded.

The abstract, her biography, and registration link are listed below. Please share with anyone who may be interested.

Feminist Killjoys at Work

In this lecture I explore what we come to know about institutions from our efforts to transform them. I will draw especially on two chapters “The Feminist Killjoy as Philosopher” and “The Feminist Killjoy as Activist,” from my forthcoming The Feminist Killjoy Handbook. To be a feminist killjoy (or another kind of institutional killjoy) means not only confronting institutional problems, but challenging how institutions use our efforts to change them as evidence they have changed. The lecture explores how being feminist killjoys at work means recognising that the figure of the feminist killjoy can be appropriated and neutralised. Being feminist killjoys at work also requires finding other institutional killjoys, because the more we come up against, the more we need more.

Biography

Sara Ahmed is an independent feminist scholar whose work is concerned with how power is experienced and challenged in everyday life and institutional cultures. She recently completed The Feminist Killjoy Handbook, her first trade publication, which is forthcoming in 2023 with Penguin Press in the UK and Seal Press in the US. She is currently writing a follow up text, A Complainer's Handbook: A Guide to Building Less Hostile Institutions and has begun a new research project on common sense. Her previous books include Complaint! (2021) What's The Use? On the Uses of Use (2019), Living a Feminist Life (2017), Willful Subjects (2014), On Being Included: Racism and Diversity in Institutional Life (2012), The Promise of Happiness (2010), Queer Phenomenology: Objects, Orientations, Others (2006), The Cultural Politics of Emotion (2014, 2004), Strange Encounters: Embodied Others in Post-Coloniality (2000) and Differences that Matter: Feminist Theory and Postmodernism (1998).

Registration

You are invited to a Zoom webinar.

When: Feb 22, 2023 10:00 AM Mountain Time (US and Canada)

Topic: Feminist Killjoys at Work

Register in advance for this webinar:

https://usu-edu.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_zIIsXtuvTsioQdGGQ7bttw<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https*3A*2F*2Fusu-edu.zoom.us*2Fwebinar*2Fregister*2FWN_zIIsXtuvTsioQdGGQ7bttw&data=05*7C01*7Clauren.cagle*40uky.edu*7C30bfb329a41f44163c8c08dafe7e57a3*7C2b30530b69b64457b818481cb53d42ae*7C0*7C0*7C638102115838193755*7CUnknown*7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0*3D*7C3000*7C*7C*7C&sdata=GwZiIJZpPhSvfkDGxthtAnqeCDuv2PXj778nrYfzf5g*3D&reserved=0__;JSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJQ!!HXCxUKc!1q_f_r0pODksiCVKsrm1kV4K8r6uKhUKuIB2D5kPdybV7wD7tBsgpk3CMLYwqkoMDZMOsPHA4J1jlrpiG-SBXLE-Dxe3$>

Or an H.323/SIP room system:

    H.323:

    162.255.37.11 (US West)

    162.255.36.11 (US East)

    115.114.131.7 (India Mumbai)

    115.114.115.7 (India Hyderabad)

    213.19.144.110 (Amsterdam Netherlands)

    213.244.140.110 (Germany)

    103.122.166.55 (Australia Sydney)

    103.122.167.55 (Australia Melbourne)

    149.137.40.110 (Singapore)

    64.211.144.160 (Brazil)

    149.137.68.253 (Mexico)

    69.174.57.160 (Canada Toronto)

    65.39.152.160 (Canada Vancouver)

    207.226.132.110 (Japan Tokyo)

    149.137.24.110 (Japan Osaka)

    Meeting ID: 811 9637 5360

    Passcode: 5275296

    SIP: 81196375360 at zoomcrc.com

    Passcode: 5275296

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.

_______________________________

Natasha N. Jones, PhD

Associate Professor in Writing, Rhetoric, and American Cultures

Michigan State University

President, Association of Teachers of Technical Writing (ATTW)

Pronouns: she/her/hers (more information about why pronouns matter<https://lgbt.ucsf.edu/pronounsmatter>)

Mailing Address:

College of Arts and Letters

Michigan State University

434 Farm Lane. Bessey Hall #289

East Lansing, MI 48824

Availability Note
As an academic, I recognize that sometimes it's hard to prevent work from encroaching into other areas of our lives. However, in an effort to protect my personal space, physical wellness, and intellectual energy, I am not always immediately able or available to respond to emails. As a rule, I am typically away from my email after 6pm Monday through Friday and on weekends. Please note that emails sent outside of these times may not immediately be addressed.

Land and Labor Acknowledgements
Michigan State University occupies the ancestral, traditional, and contemporary Lands of the Anishinaabeg-Three Fires Confederacy of Ojibwe, Odawa, and Potawatomi peoples. The university resides on Land ceded in the 1819 Treaty of Saginaw.

I recognize the foundations of this country as shaped by the enslavement, genocide, and displacement of stolen Black folks, families, and entire communities and our contemporary experiences are inextricable from the violent impact of colonialism and the TransAtlantic Slave Trade.