[ATTW-L] Death of the Computer Classroom

Elizabeth Tomlinson Elizabeth.Tomlinson at mail.wvu.edu
Tue Apr 17 20:24:03 UTC 2018

I've been following this thread with interest, as we teach our business communication course in a laptop classroom, and our college of business is in the process of planning a new building. The current classroom has worked very well for active learning as it's set up in four stop-sign shaped tables of 6 chairs each, with the laptops in the center. We have smart boards in both the front and back of the room, and white boards on the sides.

You've raised many good points about the benefits of moving away from laptops, but one of the concerns we've been considering is that providing computers has allowed us to keep a cap on our classes. With students responsible to bring their own devices, we will certainly face increasing class sizes. The business school isn't terribly easy to persuade about the difficulties of teaching written and oral communication well in large classes. Have you seen your class cap increases being justified by eliminating school-provided tech?

Beth Tomlinson

/ Elizabeth C. Tomlinson, Ph.D.
Teaching Associate Professor, Marketing Department
Faculty Associate, Teaching and Learning Commons
West Virginia University
304.293.7962
elizabeth.tomlinson at mail.wvu.edu