[ATTW-L] Invitation to Participate in Study of Instructor Feedback

Sara Christina Doan saradoan at uwm.edu
Tue Aug 21 17:16:56 UTC 2018

Hello,

(Forgive the cross-postings.)

As the fall semester begins, I invite instructors with at least five years of experience teaching business, professional, or technical communication service courses to participate in a study of how instructors give feedback on students' resumes and cover letters. I'm still looking for 17 instructors to participate in this study. Thanks to the generous support of the Association for Business Communication's C.R. Anderson Research Grant, participants will receive a $50 Amazon.com gift card.

Here is more detailed information about who is qualified and what they'll be asked to do:

My name is Sara Doan and I am a Ph.D. Candidate at the University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee in Professional Writing. For my dissertation research, I am conducting a study on instructor feedback in business, professional, and technical communication service (or introductory) courses. I have approval IRB #18.200 from the University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee’s Institutional Review Board.

If you meet these criteria, I invite you to participate in this study:

·         If you have taught an introductory business, technical, or professional communication course during Summer 2017, Fall 2017, Spring 2018, Summer 2018, or Fall 2018 session that includes an employment resume and cover letter assignment

·         If you have at least five years of experience teaching business or professional writing courses

·         If you are willing to share and discuss your feedback on student writing

Participation in this research includes the following activities:

·         Complete the 10-15 minute screening survey to give demographic information

·         Email your introductory business, professional, or technical communication syllabus and resume and cover letter assignment sheet to saradoan at uwm.edu<mailto:saradoan at uwm.edu> (15 minutes).

·         Send a copy of anonymized student resumes and cover letters from a Summer 2017, Fall 2017, Spring 2018, Summer 2018, or Fall 2018 session for one class section that you teach (including your feedback comments) (60-90 minutes).

·         Meet with me in person or via Skype for a 30-40 minute interview about your teaching goals and feedback-giving practices.

I will record audio of each interview to transcribe the interviews to use in my research. If you refuse to be recorded, you may still participate.

If you participate in the steps outlined above, your total time commitment will be between two and three hours. After submitting the student papers and completing the interview, you will be compensated with a $50 Amazon.com gift card.

To participate in this study, please complete the informed consent form here: http://saracdoan.com/index.php/research/dissertation/. Then, I will send you a link to the demographic survey. This study will be open to the first 25 instructors who respond.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at saradoan at uwm.edu<mailto:saradoan at uwm.edu>

Thank you,

Sara Doan

Sara C. Doan, MA
PhD Candidate | Dept. of English | Professional and Technical Writing
Curtin Hall 508 | UW - Milwaukee | saracdoan.com