[ATTW-L] Telling Stories: Keep us in mind for your Winter Break Writing Projects

Kimme Hea, Amy C - (kimmehea) kimmehea at email.arizona.edu
Tue Dec 4 00:52:36 UTC 2018

Dear Colleagues,

As you are planning for your winter break writing projects, Jenn Fishman and I hope you will consider crafting a proposal for Telling Stories: Perspectives on Longitudinal Writing Research.

We have been lucky enough to hear early positive response to the collection, but we wanted to send a reminder of our desire to hear from all areas of the field in relationship to your longitudinal research experiences. Feel free to send us any questions, and the CFP is provided here (and here: https://tinyurl.com/TellingStories-LongWriting ).

January 10th is the deadline for your proposal with a manuscript deadline of accepted chapter of June 30, 2019.

All best,

Amy

+++++++++++++++++++++++

FULL CFP FOR TELLING STORIES: PERSPECTIVES ON LONGITUDINAL WRITING RESEARCH

For at least three consecutive generations, researchers have been conducting longitudinal studies of writing. Some have taken an ethnographic approach, following a single writer or a cohort of writers over an extended period of time; others have spent semesters or years tracking the impact of specific writing pedagogies or practices within and beyond formal educational settings. Whatever the case, researchers from all quarters of rhetoric and composition/writing studies have sought to better understand, explain, and support the literate practices and language development of students, professionals, and community members.

For all the differences that manifest in (and are made manifest by) longitudinal projects, the researchers who do this work share a deep commitment to writers and to writing education, understood in the broadest sense. By design, longitudinal inquiries reflect the idea that writers' perceptions of themselves and their writing matter; that both writing and literacies develop and change over time in relation to local as well as global cultural material contexts; and that our ability to support writers-through formal and informal instruction, policy making, and the creation and circulation of resources of various kinds-benefits from research that illuminates such changes.

This collection aims to increase our cache of stories about longitudinal writing research in order to fill gaps in our shared and documented knowledge while increasing dialogue across areas of disciplinary specialization, including basic writing, composition studies, literacy studies, professional and technical communication, L2 and ESL writing, and rhetorical studies. We invite prospective contributors to consider the categories and questions below, and to submit proposals that either address them or add to them in compelling ways:

Reflection/Big Picture/Past

  *   How have longitudinal studies of writing changed-or not changed-over the last 30 or 60 years?
  *   What have longitudinal studies of writing been (used) for over the last decades, and how might we discern or measure their impact
  *   What can we learn-about writing, writing research, writing studies, writing education-by telling histories of longitudinal writing research or by telling histories of our field that draw on longitudinal research findings?
  *   Over time, how should we work with different kinds of longitudinal research data, and what strategies for archiving and accessing "historic" longitudinal data do we need?

Praxis/Nitty-Gritty/Present

  *   How do longitudinal studies inform writing instruction, including pedagogy, curricula, and instructional resources?
  *   How are longitudinal studies of writing helping us understand the ways in which race, gender, class, sexuality, physical ability, and salient aspects of writers' identities shape their engagement with writing and their perceptions of it?
  *   How are longitudinal researchers responding to the range of technologies, media, and modalities currently associated with writing, both with regard to methods and methodologies and in relation to the writers and writing they study?
  *   What are the politics of longitudinal studies: how do they reflect, reinforce, refuse, or resist different dynamics of power in play wherever writing research takes place, including specific sites of data collection, our discipline and the academy, or society at this time?
  *   What are the most pressing ethical issues in longitudinal writing research, and how are longitudinal researchers addressing them? In particular, how is longitudinal research negotiate issues of privacy and intellectual property connected to increasingly commonplace institutional practices (i.e., mandatory use of plagiarism detection software, required submission of e-portfolios), the rise of open access data repositories, the increasing availability of nominally public writing (i.e., social media posts)?
  *   How should we teach longitudinal writing research and mentor longitudinal writing researchers, including undergraduate and graduate students; adjunct, alt-ac and non-ac colleagues; and researches affiliated with underrepresented writers and communities?
  *   How should we disseminate, circulate, and publish longitudinal research and what are the policy and praxis implications of our work; what anticipated, or unanticipated consequence can come about from the circulation of our work in particular venues, mediums, and cross-institutional contexts.

Anticipation/Next/Future

  *   In general, what kinds of longitudinal writing studies do we need most and why?
  *   With regard to college writing, does longitudinal research have a specific role to play in the rise of writing majors and departments as well as the ongoing development of FYC and WAC? Can longitudinal research help us sustain or reinvent writing education at colleges and universities where austerity measures are changing (or have already substantially changed) the infrastructure, delivery, and staffing of instruction as well as overall institutional stances toward higher education?
  *   With regard to writing studies, how might longitudinal research support different subfields, including community writing, lifespan writing, and veteran studies?
  *   With regard to professional writing, where should we be conducting longitudinal research? What do we need to expand or change with regard to our methods and methodologies in order to   conduct diverse and successful workplace inquiries? And what steps should we take to ensure findings can inform writing instruction as well as workplace practices, including professional development?
  *   With regard to community writing, what role(s) should community members have in designing and conducting community-based longitudinal studies? What responsibility do researchers have to address social justice issues alongside ethical concerns and matters of research rigor in community-engaged studies?
  *   With regard to public scholarship and policy making, how might longitudinal studies enable us to strengthen our ability to shape public discourse, counter harmful ideas, and advocate effectively policies that support writing education as well as writers' access to relevant writing resources?
  *   What concrete steps can-and should-we take collectively to increase the rigor and sustainability of longitudinal research in writing?

Submission procedures and schedule: Please email 500-750 word proposals in doc or pdf format to Jenn Fishman (jennfishman.phd at gmail.com<mailto:jennfishman.phd at gmail.com>) and Amy C. Kimme Hea (kimmehea at email.arizona.edu<mailto:kimmehea at email.arizona.edu>). Please contact us if you have questions about your proposal.

Proposal Deadline: January 10, 2019
Notification of acceptance: February 28, 2019
Completed manuscript deadline for accepted proposals: June 30, 2019

---
Amy C. Kimme Hea, PhD
Associate Dean, Academic Affairs & Student Success
College of Social and Behavioral Sciences
Douglass Building, Room 200W
PO Box 210028
University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ 85721.0028