[ATTW-L] Thoughts on a researched/reflective paper

Kaye Adkins kadkinsphd at gmail.com
Mon May 7 16:18:14 UTC 2018

I just finished grading a paper from a graduate student that I think has
interesting potential, but I would like to tap into the hive mind to see if
it is worth asking her to pursue.

She is reflecting on her own experience through the filter of politeness
theory, and what resulted was a sort of hybrid--something less than an
ethnography, but more than a literature review. If the student were a
teacher and the paper included reflections on her classroom experience and
practice, I'd know how it fit into education research and where she might
publish it, but for tech comm/business writing, I'm not so sure.

Is this kind of thing worth pursuing? Any thoughts or advice? If I worked
with her on this, what journal(s) might be interested in publishing it?

(Am I making sense, or is it just that I was surprised by this kind of
insight from this student, plus I'm slogging through final projects that
show all the signs of last-minute-late-night-itis?)

Thanks,
Kaye Adkins

--
Less may be more, but you can't do more with less.