[ATTW-L] USU PhD Program Accepting Applications

Jared Colton jared.colton at usu.edu
Mon Nov 26 22:43:14 UTC 2018

Hi, folks—

[Apologies for cross-posting.] We wanted to announce that our PhD program is accepting applications for next year (until January 15). Please help us spread the word! Here’s the official announcement and details:

Utah State University's doctoral program in Technical Communication and Rhetoric (TCR) is currently accepting applications (deadline: Jan. 15). Our PhD program addresses the intersections of tech comm and social justice: e.g., recent students have studied environmental rhetoric and climate change communication, technical communication in the Global South, and accessible design in writing programs.

Accepted applicants are offered a Graduate Instructorship, which includes a $20,000.00 annual salary, tuition waiver, and health insurance. Graduate Instructors teach 1 course their first semester and 2 courses each semester thereafter in addition to performing other responsibilities. USU provides excellent teacher training to PhD students, and our PhD students usually get the opportunity to teach both composition and technical communication courses before they graduate.

Our TCR program hosts the flagship journal of the field, Technical Communication Quarterly, and PhD students can apply to serve as managing editor in lieu of accepting a Graduate Instructorship. We have an excellent student-to-faculty ratio, and faculty members regularly co-publish and co-present with students. The program has a close PhD student cohort and a stellar placement record. Utah State University is a Carnegie Research University (High Research Activity) of 22,000 students, located in Logan, Utah. Logan has a low cost of living, low crime rate, and free public transit. It is in a beautiful mountain valley 80 miles northeast of Salt Lake City, surrounded by national parks, ski resorts, and lakes.

For more information about the program, the faculty, the curriculum, and other topics, please see our website: http://techcomm.usu.edu

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us:

- Rebecca Walton, Technical Communication & Rhetoric PhD program chair (rebecca.walton at usu.edu)

- Jared Colton, Technical Communication & Rhetoric, English Department Interim Director of Graduate Studies (jared.colton at usu.edu<mailto:jared.colton at usu.edu>)

Thanks! ~Jared
--