[ATTW-L] Teaching the resume

Chalice Randazzo crandaz1 at emich.edu
Wed Nov 7 15:39:46 UTC 2018

Hi, all--

Rebecca, thanks for the shout-out! Mark, I'm happy to chat with you if you
want. I've been researching the conventional resume for a few years now,
including interviews with students, professors, career counselors, and
employers. I've learned that even though social networking sites like
LinkedIn are increasingly used, the conventional resume is typically
required alongside those newer resources (the cover letter's importance
depends on the industry). So, I still teach my introductory students the
conventional resume and cover letter, and I use my research to inform my
teaching.

I have a few publications out and a couple more in the pipeline, and I'm
happy to share what I've learned with anyone who is curious. I've
researched evaluative criteria that employers use, strategies that writers
use, and what those things say about potential hiring discrimination. I
don't want to inundate the entire ATTW list, though, so feel free to email
me off-list: crandaz1 at emich.edu.

All best,
--Chalice

Chalice Randazzo, PhD
Assistant Professor and Program Coordinator
Written Communications Program
Eastern Michigan University
crandaz1 at emich.edu