[ATTW-L] usability assignments

Alexandria L. alexandrialockett at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 08:30:40 UTC 2019

Hi Ligia (and all):

I teach user reviews in various digital and professional writing courses.
Feel free to take a look at my approach:

http://www.alexandrialockett.com/pedagogy/materials/user-reviews/

When teaching this, I draw on Hauben’s Netizenship and F/LOSS advocates’
cultural value of openness, as described and analyzed through Critical
Theory in Suoranta and Vaden’s brilliant book WikiWorld or as David Bollier
does in Viral Spiral or Think Like a Commoner, to provide students with a
theoretical framework for one of several reasons anyone would do this
without pay. We also probe the racial and gendered aspects of the digital
labor of reviews, as well as how they might be empowering to consumers
through a consideration of Wendy Chun’s Control and Freedom. Readings in
the schedule offered have varied over the years (I’ve been teaching this
unit since at least 2010.)

Please let me know how you adapt or what you think about the utility of
these materials. Your feedback (and anyone who consults/adapts the
materials) would be very useful since I will be updating them for next
semester when I teach Writing/Editing Digital Media (English 390), an
advanced writing course offered by our department as a English
major/writing minor elective.

Best,

Alex

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 11:48 PM Ligia Mihut <limihut at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi, all.
> I am somewhat new to PW and I am looking for any suggestions or possibly
> well designed assignments on usability testing or website reviews. I am
> particularly interested in suggestions from more seasoned instructors in
> terms of what has worked or not when it comes to usability testing but any
> type of advice is appreciated.
>
> Thank you in advance for your assistance.
> Best wishes,
> Ligia
>
> Ligia A. Mihut, PhD
> Assistant Professor
> Barry University, Miami, FL

Assistant Professor of English, Spelman College
www.alexandrialockett.com