[ATTW-L] Case studies of proposal writing

Barbara Shwom bshwom at northwestern.edu
Sun Apr 28 20:15:12 UTC 2019

Joanna,

This is a good question. While I have not used this "case study" in
teaching, I'm considering doing so because it is so interesting.

Sense Media, a U.K. Company that develops sensors, submitted an
unsuccessful proposal to Innovate U.K., seeking partial funding for an
autonomous vehicle project in response to a call for proposals.  Upon
receiving the rejection, one of the principals of the company wrote a blog
entry that includes links both to the application and to the feedback that
the company received. The blog entry itself reflects on the feedback and
gives the company's own assessment of why the proposal missed the mark.

Here's the URL:
https://www.sensemedia-events.com/our-unsuccessful-application-to-innovate-uk/

If you have any other case studies of proposals--or find any--I'm eager to
learn about them.

Best,

Barbara

Barbara Shwom
Professor of Instruction in Writing
The Bobbie and Stanton Cook Family Writing Program
Northwestern University
555 Clark Street #247
Evanston, IL 60208
Office phone: 847-491-7690