[ATTW-L] Information on Industry Partnerships

Wayne Butler wbutler at austincc.edu
Thu Aug 29 19:31:03 UTC 2019

At Austin Community College, TechComm is a workforce program rather than a
Liberal Arts one. As such, we need to have an industry advisory committee.
According to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board,

Advisory committees perform the following functions:
(1) evaluating the goals and objectives of the program curriculum;
(2) establishing workplace competencies for the program occupation(s);
(3) suggesting program revisions as needed;
(4) evaluating the adequacy of existing college facilities and equipment;
(5) advising college personnel on the selection and acquisition of new
equipment;
(6) identifying local business and industry leaders who will provide
students with
external learning experiences, employment, and placement opportunities;
(7) assisting in the professional development of the faculty;
(8) assisting in promoting and publicizing the program to the community and
business and industry; and
(9) representing the needs of students from special populations.

Expectations are that the committee will meet face to face at least once a
year, if not once a semester.  Discussions, decisions, and consulting are
handled via email or other means of electronic collaboration.

Access the entire Workforce manual at
http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/reports/pdf/3378.pdf for all the details.
Advisory council info starts on page 7.

Good luck!

Wayne

Wayne Butler, Ph.D.
Professor and Chair
Business, Government, and Technical Communications
<http://sites.austincc.edu/bgtcm/>
Northridge 4224
Austin Community College
(512) 223-4029 / wbutler at austincc.edu

Faculty Coordinator, Liberal Arts Area of Study
<http://www.austincc.edu/degrees-and-certificates/areas-of-study/liberal-arts-humanities-social-and-behavioral-sciences>