[ATTW-L] Book announcement

Jordan Frith jordan.frith at unt.edu
Mon Feb 25 15:49:30 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,
I’m happy to announce the publication of my newest book *A Billion Little
Pieces: RFID and Infrastructures of Identification*. It will be published
by MIT Press on March 5. Here’s a link to the book.
<https://www.amazon.com/Billion-Little-Pieces-Infrastructures-Identification/dp/0262039753/>

The book is about the infrastructures of the Internet of Things and makes
the argument that our world is already filled with communicative objects;
it’s just that many of them are more mundane than we were led to expect. In
particular, I’m interested in exploring just where so much of the data that
shapes the world comes from. I think of it like an extended form of
documentation that looks at how often invisible technologies of
identification shape our world. Hopefully it’s relevant to some of the
great tech comm work you all are doing.

I made the first chapter available for free on mywebsite
<https://www.jordanfrith.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Frith_RFIDchapter1.pdf>.
If you have any questions for me or just want to talk about research, don’t
hesitate to reach out. Intro chapter:

Oh, and if you like acknowledgment sections with paragraphs about dogs, you
should definitely check out the book. That’s kind of my thing.

--
Jordan Frith, Ph.D.
Associate Professor