[ATTW-L] Job Posting: Tenure-track Assistant Professor of Technical and Professional Communication at the University of Maine

Luke Redington luke.redington.77 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 14:33:50 UTC 2019

Hi, Everyone!

Please see the exciting announcement below for a new tenure track position
at the flagship campus of the University of Maine in Orono, ME. I'm posting
this on behalf of the search committee chair, Dylan Dryer, who will gladly
field any questions.

Thanks,

Assistant Professor of Technical Communication
University of Maine

Dear Friends,

I'm delighted to announce our newly approved tenure-track line of Assistant
Professor of Technical & Professional Writing at the flagship campus of the
University of Maine System in Orono. You can find all the official details
here
<https://umaine.hiretouch.com/job-details?jobID=53223&job=assistant-professor-of-professional-and-technical-writing>;
to all that, I'll add a few other details that might interest you or your
about-to-defend tech-comm PhD students:

   - UMaine's Colleges of Engineering and Natural Sciences, Forestry, and
   Agriculture are doing important work on technologies of vital interest to
   the planet: offshore wind turbines, tidal turbines, aquaculture, and forest
   bioproducts among them; you can have a look at some of our fascinating
   Centers and Institutes here
   <https://umaine.edu/research/research-centers-institutes/>, (which
   include not only the Climate Change Institute, the Center for Sustainabilty
   Solutions, but also and perhaps predictably, the Lobster Institute and
   Blueberry Institute as well).
   - Our new president, Dr. Joan Ferrini-Mundy, was previously chief
   operations officer at the NSF and is not wasting any time emphasizing
   research *and* teaching.
   - Our students are terrific -- hardworking, self-reliant, and deeply
   committed to Maine.
   - Maine summers and falls need no advertisement. Yes, winters are long
   here, but the Bangor region is close enough to the ocean to moderate the
   chill a bit, and with a little willpower, one can cultivate a taste for
   snow-related activities: snowshoeing, cross-country and downhill skiing,
   icefishing or of course staying inside and reading.
   - Bangor and its environs feature glorious scenery, a farm-to-table
   dining culture that's been around since before that was even a phrase (
   see <http://www.mofga.org/Community/About-MOFGA/MOFGA-History>),
   astonishingly affordable real-estate, superb public schools, an
   unpretentious vibe, and plenty of opportunities to get involved in the
   local "doings" if that's to your liking.

We're moving fairly quickly on this search; it's a light initial
application of a cv and cover letter, so please do feel welcome to let us
know you're interested. I'd be very obliged if folks would be willing to
pass this along to your students and local listservs.

I'm chairing the search, so feel free to write me (at dylan.dryer at maine.edu,
please) with any questions.

--Dylan Dryer

Dylan B. Dryer
Associate Professor, Composition Studies
Coordinator of Graduate Studies
Department of English
University of Maine