[ATTW-L] Thomas Kent

Johnson, Richard D rjohnso at purdue.edu
Mon Jun 24 16:23:41 UTC 2019

Recently, we learned of the passing of Thomas Kent, who many of us cherished as a mentor and a friend. Tom earned his Ph.D. from Purdue, and he was a faculty member and administrator at Iowa State, Utah State, and Western Michigan University. His books include Paralogic Rhetoric: A Theory of Communicative Interaction; Post-Process Theory: Beyond the Writing-Process Paradigm; and Interpretation and Genre: The Role of Generic Perception in the Study of Narrative Texts.

Tom was a brilliant theorist of rhetoric, as well as an author, a teacher, and a kind and patient mentor to many. Many of us owe our careers to him. We will miss him very much.

His obituary can be read at https://betzlerlifestory.com/obituaries/thomas-kent.127510

Professor Richard Johnson-Sheehan
Department of English
Purdue University