[ATTW-L] condensing a 15-16 week business and tech writing course to 5-6

Raymond Boxman boxman at tauex.tau.ac.il
Fri Mar 8 09:16:04 UTC 2019

Dear Drake,

For 16 years I taught a full semester course (26 frontal hours) on scientific writing, to PhD students in the Faculty of Engineering, centered on the “research report”. Approaching retirement, my wife Edith and I prepared a 12 hour crash course on the same subject (see the link below). There were two elements needed for the condensation. The most important was selecting which material was truly essential, and the second was curtailing class exercises and class discussion to a minimum.

To succeed in your task, your “mind frame” should not be “how do I condense?”—it will lead to failure. But rather you should start with the time available as a given, and ask yourself “what are the 15 weeks of material which is most important for the target audience?”  In other words, think in terms of selection, not condensation.

Good luck!

Ray Boxman,

From the home of:
Prof. Emeritus Raymond (Reuven) Boxman
School of Electrical Engineering
Tel Aviv University
Tel:  +972-3-640 7364
Cell: +972 544 634 217
Room 507, Computer and Software Engineering Building
http://www.eng.tau.ac.il/~boxman/index.html
CEO Clear Wave Ltd. – http://clrwave.com<http://clrwave.com/>
Scientific Writing Courses – http://communicating-science.com<http://communicating-science.com/>

My email server changed, but my address remains:
boxman at eng.tau.ac.il<mailto:boxman at eng.tau.ac.il>
Also mail sent to boxman at post.tau.ac.il<mailto:boxman at post.tau.ac.il> and boxman at tauex.tau.ac.il<mailto:boxman at tauex.tau.ac.il> will get to me.
Please do not send double messages.