[ATTW-L] PW Certificates

Lisa Melonçon meloncon.research at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 23:32:46 UTC 2019

Even though I sent Lilian information off line, I will point folks to an
analysis of certificate programs in the US:
http://tek-ritr.com/publications/certificate-programs-in-tpc/

Having just updated this information, while the numbers of certificates
have increased, the structure of of them remains the same as reported above.

Recent research that lays out a series of questions for starting and
sustaining programs:
http://tek-ritr.com/publications/gram-continuous-improvement-model/

Most of Lilian's questions are answered in the above, but here are some
answer to the questions that are not, in carer others are interested
--the vast majority of certificates have been started in the last 15 years
--the certificate can be a viable credential for students, but we do not
have enough research (yet) that points to if there are any differences in
perceptions outside of higher education between certificates, minors, and
emphasis degrees. These three types of degrees are similar in the
curricular requirements and decisions are often localized on why one (or
more) is offered.
--a point on the question of faculty: we know without doubt that creating a
degree program of any kind typically leads to the increase of contingent
faculty for all sorts of reasons (and no, this is not at every location,
but it is at a majority of them). I would advise anyone to be careful and
cautious and consider issues of labor first when thinking of new programs
or expanding existing ones. If you have adequate faculty in secure, stable
positions to staff a program at the moment you are proposing it, then by
all means go for it.

I have finally begun to find the time and space to begin to organize and
finalize and get out into the world the vast amount of programmatic data
that I have(much of the data has been updated in the last 7 months). As I
continue to get it all in a state so others can read and use it, I am
always happy to send you whatever you may need (if I have it.)

Hope to see many of you next week at ATTW,
Lisa

Lisa Melonçon, PhD

Co-Editor, Rhetoric of Health and Medicine (
http://journals.upress.ufl.edu/rhm
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__journals.upress.ufl.edu_rhm&d=DwMFaQ&c=l45AxH-kUV29SRQusp9vYR0n1GycN4_2jInuKy6zbqQ&r=pixVoNlEUATCd42x07Q5ArPXRPzmxr7XUhwZ3R0VPL8&m=Shj3vbvM5sT5RXbA2Q4DPfyv9-MYu0r9-86YpB-c3Jo&s=kHZQlabmFC-di_7ldUObKDW_e4L69mcKBtbd9nAiW_U&e=>
)

Series Editor: Foundations and Innovations in Technical and Professional
Communication (https://wac.colostate.edu/books/tpc/)

Associate Professor, Technical & Professional Communication

Department of English

 https://www.usf.edu/arts-sciences/departments/english/
<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.usf.edu%2Farts-sciences%2Fdepartments%2Fenglish%2F&data=02%7C01%7Cmeloncon%40usf.edu%7Ce75d9f5bc132485bcf3508d646846df3%7C741bf7dee2e546df8d6782607df9deaa%7C0%7C0%7C636773931959217946&sdata=YR50K7JF5CaXnwLcHdbXCvt8E%2BlXZgU0EIQLnwTOcOw%3D&reserved=0>

University of South Florida

4202 Fowler Avenue, CPR 311

Tampa, FL 33620-5550

Phone: 803-370-0008

Email: meloncon [at] tek-ritr dot com OR meloncon [at ]usf dot edu

http://tek-ritr.com

Twitter: @lmeloncon

Pronouns: she/her

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 4:00 PM Lilian Mina <lilian.mina at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> My department is considering a Certificate in Professional Writing and I
> was tasked to gather some information about the viability of such
> certificate. Our department offers a traditional  English major
> (literature focused) and a number of minors. We currently have a Writing
> and Editing minor that requires the completion of 12 credits.The department
> is also looking into adding a PW track to the major, so starting with the
> certificate may be a first step towards the major track.
>

> So here's a few questions to those of you who may have a similar program
> at their institutions. If you had such a program in the past and it either
> evolved into a major or was discontinued, I'd like to hear your input as
> well.
>

>    -  How long have you had a PW certificate?
>    - How many credits does it include?
>    - What courses does the certificate include? (we're trying to decide
>    how many new courses we may need to offer if any)
>    - Do you partner with another department or program to have a more
>    interdisciplinary certificate? If yes, which programs? And how many courses
>    does each side contribute?
>    - How many TT faculty are needed to teach courses and sustain this
>    certificate?
>    - How viable do you think the certificate has been for students (e.g.,
>    employability) and for the department (e.g., number of students)?
>

> Feel free to respond off the list (lilian.mina at gmail.com).
>

> Thanks for all your help.
>
> Lilian
>

> *Lilian W. Mina*
>
> *, Ph.D.*Assistant Professor of English, Rhetoric and Composition
> Director of Composition
> Executive Board Member, Council of Writing Program Administrators
> Department of English and Philosophy
> Auburn University at Montgomery
> Office: LA 362
> Montgomery, AL
> www.lilianmina.com
> @LilianMina
> <lilian.mina at gmail.com>

Lisa Melonçon, PhD
Co-Editor, Rhetoric of Health and Medicine (
http://journals.upress.ufl.edu/rhm)
Book Series Editor, Foundations and Innovations in TPC (
https://wac.colostate.edu/books/tpc/)
Associate Professor, Technical Communication, Department of English
Email: meloncon.research at gmail.com or meloncon at usf.edu
http://tek-ritr.com
Twitter:@lmeloncon