[ATTW-L] NCA 2019 Disability Justice Spotlight Panel

Drew Holladay holladay at umbc.edu
Tue Nov 12 17:42:34 UTC 2019

*Apologies for cross-posting*

Hello all,

If you are making plans for this week's 2019 National Communication
Association convention in Baltimore, please consider adding “Communication,
Disability Justice, and Surviving Ableism” to your schedule! As a
"Spotlight Series" panel, we will be addressing the convention theme of
Communication for Survival. The panel features guest speaker Lydia X. Z.
Brown and four scholars in the fields of rhetoric and communication:. You
will find a description below; you can also follow this link for a more
detailed overview of the talks:
https://ww4.aievolution.com/nca1901/index.cfm?do=ev.viewEv&ev=6319

We hope to see you there!

Sincerely,

Drew Holladay

“Communication, Disability Justice, and Surviving Ableism”
Thursday, 11/14: 12:30 PM - 1:45 PM
Hilton, Holiday Ballroom 6 (Second Floor)

>From increasing representation in mass media to the centering of disability
by prominent theorists like Sara Ahmed and Jasbir K. Puar, the disability
rights movement and the academic field of disability studies have begun to
shift the stigmatizing dominant narrative around disability.
“Communication, Disability Justice, and Surviving Ableism” will examine the
centrality of communication practices to the pursuit of disability justice
through anti-ableist scholarship and activism. Our guest speaker is Lydia
X. Z. Brown, a celebrated disability justice advocate, organizer, and
writer whose work focuses on violence against multiply-marginalized
disabled people. Currently, they are working to promote the civil rights of
Maryland students with disabilities. In her talk, Brown will discuss the
failures of groups that purport to have liberatory values but perpetuate
the violence that they ostensibly seek to disrupt. We will also hear from
communication and rhetoric scholars about confronting ableism in
scholarship and advocacy: James Cherney, author of the forthcoming *Ableist
Rhetoric*; Jennifer LeMuesurier; Beth Haller, author of *Representing
Disability in an Ableist World*; and Drew Holladay. We invite you to join
us for a conversation about how studies of communication and rhetoric can
build up and sustain the connection between academic inquiry and disability
activism.

*Drew Holladay *(he/him/his)
Assistant Professor of English
Email: holladay at umbc.edu