[ATTW-L] Now Accepting Applications: East Carolina University's PhD in Rhetoric, Writing, and Professional Communication

Cox, Matthew Byron COXMAT at ECU.EDU
Wed Nov 13 15:46:53 UTC 2019

As PhD Program Coordinator, I would like to announce that East Carolina University’s PhD in Rhetoric, Writing, & Professional Communication<https://english.ecu.edu/graduate-programs/phd-in-rhetoric-writing-professional-communication/> (housed in our Department of English) is now accepting applications for admission to begin the program in the fall of 2020.

Specialization areas among faculty and coursework in our program include feminist rhetorics, cultural rhetorics, queer and LGBT rhetorics, writing center theory and practice, rural rhetorics, archival rhetorics, user experience (UX), and risk communication and crisis communication. Our PhD faculty are: Drs. Michael Albers, Will Banks, Nikki Caswell, Matt Cox, Michelle Eble, Erin Frost, Guiseppe Getto, Brent Henze, Donna Kain, Tracy Ann Morse, and Wendy Sharer. You can read about our PhD faculty here<https://english.ecu.edu/people/faculty/>.

A variety of assistantship opportunities are available to our PhD students including teaching across a variety of courses in the department (from first-year writing to business writing and science writing courses) and also assistantships in the University Writing Center <https://writing.ecu.edu/uwc/> and research assistantships. financial support for PhD students includes a $15,000 annual assistantship salary for 20 hours of work per week in fall and spring semesters. Summer assistantships and additional hours are often available for extra pay. We also provide tuition remission and health insurance, but students are responsible for fees.

We’re proud of the placements of graduates of our program both within academia/tenure-track positions and in industry in related areas. You can read about some of our graduates and where they are now here<https://english.ecu.edu/graduate-programs/alumni/>. Recent tenure-track hires have included the University of Rhode Island, Missouri Institute of Science & Technology, and Rochester Institute of Technology.

To ensure that your application is considered for full funding at the same time as other candidates, your fully completed application should be submitted by January 15th, 2020. After January 15th, you may still submit applications until May 1st, 2020 but these applications will depend on availability and resources. Required materials are: completed application form (which includes a statement of purpose/intent and writing samples), application fee, official transcripts for all colleges/universities attended (including documentation of the successful completion of a master’s degree), three (3) letters of recommendation (at least two academic) and a completed recommendation form for each. TOEFL or IELTS required, if applicable. To initiate your application, go here<https://www.ecu.edu/cs-acad/gradschool/Apply-Landing-Page.cfm>. The GRE is no longer required by our program.

If you have additional questions about information you can’t can’t find online, please don’t hesitate to contact me, coxmat at ecu.edu<mailto:coxmat at ecu.edu> or Timothy Putnam, our graduate studies administrative assistant at putnamt16 at ecu.edu<mailto:putnamt16 at ecu.edu>.

A note about our MA: Some of you may also be interested in our face-to-face MA in English<https://www.ecu.edu/degrees/MA/English/> (with tracks in Rhetoric and Composition and/or Technical and Professional Communication) and our online MA degree in Technical and Professional Communication<https://english.ecu.edu/graduate-programs/master-of-arts-in-english/> (designed with working professionals in mind).

I hope you all have a productive wrap-up to your fall 2019 semesters!

Matt

Dr. Matt Cox
Associate Professor of English
Technical & Professional Communication
PhD Program Coordinator
PhD in Rhetoric, Writing,
& Professional Communication
Editor for Annotated Bibliographies, Present Tense:
A Journal of Rhetoric in Society

2122 Bate Building
East Carolina University
252.737.1664