[ATTW-L] JBTC special section CFP on COVID-19 (RAPID turnaround)

Jordan Frith frithjh at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 11:43:08 UTC 2020

Hi all,
I'm putting together a special section of a future issue of the *Journal of
Business and Technical Communication *about the role business, technical,
and scientific communication play during this pandemic. The full CFP is
here.
<https://www.jordanfrith.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/JBTC_CovidCFP.pdf>
We want the issue to be timely, so we're doing something different from
traditional publishing.

   - The articles will all be 1000-1500 words. They will still be peer
   reviewed.
   - The deadlines are vast accelerated. I need 75 word abstracts a week
   from today.
   - The drafts of the 1000-1500 word articles are due in about a month
   - Peer review will be sped up to ensure fast turnaround. Authors will be
   blind reviewing other authors' work.
   - Final revisions for everything need to be in to the copyeditors by
   June 15.

I know those timelines seem a bit daunting, especially with everything else
going on. But the articles are shorter, so we're hoping to avoid some of
the problems with academic publishing where we aren't able to get any work
out about the great work you're doing for another 12-18 months. I'm open to
different topics, including but not limited to

·       Communicating expertise to the public

·       Understanding or misusing data visualizations

·       Combatting the spread of misinformation online

·       Analyzing rhetorics of health and medicine during a pandemic

·       Producing infographics to capture the impact of COVID-19

·       Analyzing the new terminology we use during this pandemic (e.g.,
“social distancing”)

·       Discussing instructional material (e.g., how to social distance or
how to wear a mask)

·       Understanding businesses’ or institutions’ public or internal
response to the pandemic

·       Teaching business and technical communication during a pandemic.

Please let me know if you have any questions, and I'd love to hear from
you. I think this special section could be great and super timely.

--
Jordan Frith, Ph.D.
Pearce Professor of Professional Communication

Pronouns: He/Him
Book review editor of the *Journal of Business & Technical Communication*
My Amazon author page
<https://www.amazon.com/Books-Jordan-Frith/s?i=stripbooks&rh=p_27%3AJordan+Frith>