[ATTW-L] Grad teaching assistants and tech comm service courses

Lisa Melonçon meloncon.research at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 14:02:02 UTC 2020

Abi -

Here's what I can tell you from a field wide-perspective.

Of the 34 schools where you can specialize in TPC for the PhD, all require
a composition practicum course and about 1/3 require a TPC practicum
course.

At the MA/MS level, things get a little more confusing since the vast
majority (around ~70%) of the ~110 schools that offer a master's degree do
so as a professional degree so they do not have TA lines. Of these schools,
only 2% require a teaching course, while 22% have it on the books as an
elective. These are often a practicum in composition. (Note: in the ten
years from when I first gathered data to currently when I updating and
verifying it, this particular statistic has not changed.)

When it comes to the online component, over the last 5 years most
institutions (from near as I can gather from those offerings a TPC degree
of some kind), around ~60%, require some sort of
institutional "certification" that while not teaching you to teach online
at least makes sure you know the LMS and the minimum things to start
thinking about course structure online.

If you want more detailed information, such as alignment with other
institutions like yours, just email off list, and I'll parse the data
differently and provide more specific details about the courses and
structure.

Hope everyone has a great day,
Lisa

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 10:15 PM Bakke, Abigail R <abigail.bakke at mnsu.edu>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on a proposal for training tech comm grad students to teach
> our tech comm service courses. As part of that process, I want to get a
> sense of how other programs handle this.
>
> If your program offers TAships to tech comm master's and/or PhD students,
> what are the qualifications or requirements for those grad students to
> teach tech comm? For instance, must they teach first-year comp first?
>
> What about teaching online - what additional qualifications/requirements
> are in place for TAs to teach courses online?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Abi
>
> Abigail Bakke, PhD
>

> Assistant Professor, Technical Communication
>
> Department of English
>
> Minnesota State University, Mankato
>
> Armstrong 307H
>
> (507) 389-1035

Lisa Melonçon, PhD
Co-Editor, Rhetoric of Health and Medicine (
http://journals.upress.ufl.edu/rhm)
Book Series Editor, Foundations and Innovations in TPC (
https://wac.colostate.edu/books/tpc/)
Professor, Technical Communication, Department of English
University of South Florida
4202 Fowler Avenue, CPR 311
Tampa, FL 33620-5550
Phone: 803-370-0008