[ATTW-L] Document Design

Derek Ross derek.ross at auburn.edu
Tue Apr 14 22:14:20 UTC 2020

Hi All:

First, I hope you are all safe and sane in these trying times!

Second, I could use your input. I’m teaching a graduate level course on Document Design in the Fall. I’ve taught the course off and on for over a decade now, and I’d like to update my core texts. I’ve found that a good, solid grounding book really helps—I’ve used Karen Schriver’s work, and Kimball & Hawkins, and I love them both. They are both, however, out of print, and don’t offer all of the resources that I might need if we end up doing this thing in an online or hybrid model. What should I be using?

I’ve already got Don Norman’s Design of Everyday Things in my maybe-basket, as well as Cairo’s Functional Art. And maybe Wyatt and Devoss’s Type Matters, along with plenty of wonderful pieces of new scholarship from our various journals. What are your must-haves?

Thanks in advance,

Derek

Derek G. Ross
Editor, Communication Design Quarterly<https://sigdoc.acm.org/publication/>
Co-Director, Laboratory for Usability, Communication, Interaction, and Accessibility<http://cla.auburn.edu/lucia/>
Department of English, 9030 Haley Center
Auburn University, AL 36849-5203
334-844-9073
http://www.derekross.com<http://www.derekross.com/>
Pronouns: he/him/his