[ATTW-L] Document Design

Elizabeth T Lane (etlane) etlane at memphis.edu
Tue Apr 14 22:27:16 UTC 2020

Hi Derek-

I've taught an undergraduate/graduate version of Document Design for several years that went online for the first time last fall. I love using Williams Non-Designers Design Book for introductory principles early in the course.

But my favorite text for more advanced units to cover theoretical and background information with cases is Ellen Lupton's Thinking with Type. The etext is affordable and the book's website<http://thinkingwithtype.com/> has many of the case studies, project ideas, and resources to complement the readings, which makes it easy to include with online modules if needed. It's certainly a must-have for me and students like it too.

I've also started using Beth Tondreau's Layout Essentials: 100 Design Principles for Using Grids for our introductions to InDesign and the grid.

Hope these help and I look forward to hearing what others use too!

Liz Lane, PhD
Assistant Professor | Writing, Rhetoric, and Technical Communication Program
Department of English
[UofM logo]     The University of Memphis
427 Patterson Hall
Memphis, TN 38152<http://www.memphis.edu/emailsignatures/emailsignaturemac.php#>
etlane at memphis.edu
<http://www.memphis.edu/><mailto:etlane at memphis.edu><http://www.memphis.edu/>