[ATTW-L] New CDQ Article on Social Media in TPC Programs

Luke Thominet lthomine at fiu.edu
Wed Apr 15 15:48:41 UTC 2020

Dear Colleagues,

Hope this email finds you all well!

Just sending a quick announcement of CDQ's new Online First article, "Social Media in Professional, Technical, and Scientific Communication Programs: A Heuristic to Guide Future Use<http://sigdoc.acm.org/social-media-in-professional-technical-and-scientific-communication-programs-a-heuristic-to-guide-future-use/>."

In this article, Jennifer Roth Miller, Brandy Dieterle, Jennifer deWinter, and Stephanie Vie report on the results of a research study supported by a CPTSC research grant that analyzed programmatic use of social media in professional, technical, and scientific communication programs (TPCs). This mixed-methods study included a survey of TPC program administrators (n = 29), an inventory of TPCs' social media account use (n = 70), and an inventory of TPCs' course offerings that included social media (n = 27). Results showed that programmatic use of social media requires strategic consideration, particularly in order to generate two-way communication, a goal of many of the TPCs studied. To that end, their article generates questions and guiding suggestions (drawn from their three-part study) to guide administrators who wish to include social media in their TPC.

We invite you to contribute to the conversation. If you have something that would be a good fit for Communication Design Quarterly, please look over our publication guidelines and direct inquiries or submissions to our Editor in Chief, Dr. Derek G. Ross, at derek.ross at auburn.edu<mailto:derek.ross at auburn.edu>.

Best,
Luke Thominet, PhD
Communications Manager
SIGDOC