[ATTW-L] Grad teaching assistants and tech comm service courses

Stuart Selber selber at psu.edu
Thu Apr 9 12:59:39 UTC 2020

Hi Abigail--

All of the graduate students at Penn State begin by teaching first-year composition, and with that comes a two-semester teaching practicum.

After they have completed this requirement they can then teach our service course in technical communication, which comes with a one-semeter teaching practicum. If they want to also teach business writing they take a practicum for that course too. The practicum meets weekly, and the students use a common syllabus, assignments, etc. They can customize their own version of the service course down the road.

We also have a practicum for online teaching.

Our students have 3-4 semesters of teacher training (or more) before they hit the job market.

Stuart

Stuart A. Selber
Associate Professor of English
Director of Digital Education
Director of The Penn State Digital English Studio
Department of English
Penn State University
University Park, PA 16802

selber at psu.edu