[ATTW-L] New CDQ article on story mapping and sea level rise

Luke Thominet lthomine at fiu.edu
Tue Feb 25 23:25:17 UTC 2020

Dear Colleagues,

CDQ just published a new article, "Story mapping and sea level rise: Listening to global risks at street level<http://sigdoc.acm.org/story-mapping-and-sea-level-rise-listening-to-global-risks-at-street-level/>," through our online first platform!

In this article, Sonia Stephens and Daniel Richards argue that, while interactive maps are important tools for risk communication, most maps omit the lived experiences and personal stories of the community members who are most at risk. In response, they describe the development of an interactive tool that juxtaposes coastal residents' video-recorded stories about sea level rise and coastal flooding with an interactive map of future sea level rise projections. Then they outline the project development, including the digital platform selection, project design, participant recruitment, and narrative framing, and they tie their design decisions to rhetorical and ethical considerations of interest for others developing interactive tools with community participation.

We invite you to contribute to the conversation. If you have something that would be a good fit for Communication Design Quarterly, please look over our publication guidelines<https://sigdoc.acm.org/publication/communication-design-quarterly-review/> and direct inquiries or submissions to our Editor in Chief, Dr. Derek G. Ross, at derek.ross at auburn.edu<mailto:derek.ross at auburn.edu>.

Best,
Luke Thominet, PhD
Communications Manager
SIGDOC