[ATTW-L] Creating Epistemic and Community Coalitions

Brian Hendrickson bhendrickson at rwu.edu
Fri Jul 31 19:38:14 UTC 2020

Dear All (with apologies for cross-posting):

On behalf of the Coalition for Community Writing
<https://communitywriting.org/>, my esteemed colleague Dr. Iris D. Ruiz and
I will be facilitating a two-day, four-hour (total) webinar series entitled
Creating Epistemic and Community Coalitions. The series will take place on
Monday, 8/3, and Wednesday, 8/5, from 12-2 eastern.

We all need a little intellectual reinvigoration as we ready ourselves
for the fall, so please join us by registering here:
https://communitywriting.org/product/creating-epistemic-and-community-coalitions/

The price is $10-30 with discounts for CCW members.

*Full Description:*

When studying and supporting campus-community coalition building, our
choice of theory and method matters–especially when our work aims to center
the learning, languaging, and life-making of BIPOC students and community
members. How might we (re)frame our community-engaged work with
community-based epistemologies? How might modern Western epistemologies
complement or contradict our efforts at interrogating and transforming
systemic epistemic injustice? How should our own racial, linguistic, and
institutional identities inform our answers to these questions?

This two-part webinar series invites participants to join an ongoing
conversation between two scholars in rhetoric and composition who have
taken up these questions in their own work and in collaboration with one
another, particularly around the potentially separate and combined
utilities of decolonial theory, critical race theory, poststructuralism,
activity theory, and actor-network theory as they relate to interrogating
and transforming modern Western systems of racist colonial oppression as
manifested on campus, in the community, and in digital spaces.

The first two-hour session will provide an introduction to this
conversation and prompt participants to reflect individually and in groups
on developing their own decolonial and antiracist epistemic frameworks for
critically examining, overcoming challenges, and cultivating
knowledge-making opportunities in campus-community coalition building
projects.

The second two-hour session will model how such frameworks can be applied
in practice, with a continued exploration of the questions and
possibilities that arise, with participants moving beyond reflection to
apply particular decolonial and antiracist frameworks in the design of
community-engaged research, teaching, and coalition building projects.

The Facilitators

Iris D. Ruiz is a Continuing Lecturer for the UC Merced Merritt Writing
Program and a Lecturer with the Sonoma State University Chicano/Latino
Studies Program. Her current publications are her monograph, Reclaiming
Composition for Chicano/as and other Ethnic Minorities: A Critical History
and Pedagogy, and a co-edited collection, Decolonizing Rhetoric and
Composition Studies: New Latinx Keywords for Theory and Pedagogy, in which
she also contributed a chapter on the keyword “Race.” She’s also written
several articles and chapters for edited collections. Her 2017 coauthored
article deals with race and WPA history, and was published in the CWPA
Journal and received the 2019 Kenneth Bruffee award. This work is also
currently contracted with Parlor Press for a forthcoming book.

Her most current work centers upon decolonizing curricula, academic space,
public space, and disciplinarity. She is currently writing about
decolonizing writing conventions by delving into a Nepantla space. Lastly,
she has recently launched a podcast, which is a collaboration between Spark
Writing and Working for Change Series and scholars in Rhetoric and Writing
in an effort to create resilient strategies.

Brian Hendrickson is Assistant Professor of Writing Studies, Rhetoric, and
Composition at Roger Williams University in Rhode Island. His work explores
frameworks for interrogating and transforming racist structures across and
beyond the curriculum. Most recently, Brian has been collaborating with a
team of students, faculty, administrators, and Indigenous community leaders
to launch “Wutche Wame,” a Living Culture Collaborative connecting Roger
Williams University to the community through a commitment to centering
Rhode Island’s unique Indigenous history and living culture as part of a
broader cultural equity agenda.
Brian Hendrickson, PhD
Assistant Professor
Dept of Writing Studies, Rhetoric, and Composition
Roger Williams University
bhendrickson at rwu.edu
Office Phone: (401) 254-3243
Office Location: GHH 239