[ATTW-L] the ICE memo on international students

Keisha E. McKenzie k.e.mckenzie at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 14:50:50 UTC 2020

Chris, thanks for sharing this classroom exercise.

I'm reading in it language analysis connected to people's daily life,
awareness of institutional, cultural, administrative, and political
context, a prosocial professional ethic, and creative teaching—all things
that originally drew me to the field of technical communication and
rhetoric years ago.

It delights me to end this week knowing these qualities are still alive in
tech comm classrooms across the country.

In my day-to-day, I'm watching and navigating the slow implosion of digital
and social marketing: content that leaders and organizers create to
influence users to take action, including reading the informational or
narrative content we produce and publish. It's connected to web content
strategy and online copywriting like the kinds communicators used to
translate and adapt the website in your exercise.

How institutional authors develop, revise, and market content in memos, on
websites, in reports, or in video explainers reflects assumptions about the
user, the institutional author, their respective positions, and their
shared world. Students need to learn how to read and contextualize those
assumptions and, when necessary, challenge and improve them.

Sometimes it's just a memo or website or product ad. And sometimes it's
lives.

Thanks again for sharing.
Keisha

McKenzie Consulting Group