[ATTW-L] Our Vital Discussion

Searsmith, Kelly Lin kellydm at illinois.edu
Tue Jul 14 16:10:36 UTC 2020

Dear All,
In service to creating systemic change to ensure greater inclusion for international students and BIPOC (I agree with my fellow UI alum, Tom Long, that action is key), I'm sharing a link to the American Physics Society (APS) TEAM-UP report (January 2020), produced by the AIP National Task Force to Elevate African American Representation in Undergraduate Physics & Astronomy (TEAM-UP). The report is focused on Physics & Astronomy and on UG ed, but it offers original research into persistent systemic barriers and provides a series of specific recommendations to enact systematic change, including at the level of professional societies. I hope that this report's insights can contribute to the tech comm community's imagining ways to make a difference together here (especially with such active and able leadership) and wherever we are located separately.
The detailed listing of the report's findings and recommendations begins on p. 64. See Item 6; Change Management.
https://www.aip.org/diversity-initiatives/team-up-task-force

Best,
Kelly
_____________

Kelly Searsmith, PhD  (English), Illini Certified Research Administrator (she, her, hers)
Technical Research Writer, Department of Physics, The Grainger College of Engineering
     (research administration, faculty writing services, writing and literacy curriculum and instruction)
Member, National Council of University Research Administrators (NCURA)
Instructional Staff (Advanced Composition), Nuclear Weapons and Arms Control (PHYS/GLBL 280<https://courses.physics.illinois.edu/phys280/sp2020/course-description.html>)
Ed.M. Candidate, Dept. of Education Policy, Organization, and Leadership--Higher Education
     Concentration, College of Education

290Y Loomis Laboratory of Physics, 1110 W Green St., MC 704
Urbana, IL 61801-3003
(217) 300-5336

Physics Illinois<https://physics.illinois.edu/people/directory/profile/kellydm> / LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/in/kelly-searsmith-15112b14/>