[ATTW-L] Reminder- Position Announcement: Clinical Assistant Professor of Technical Communication

Lam, Chris Chris.Lam at unt.edu
Mon Mar 2 16:04:00 UTC 2020

My apologies for cross posting.

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to remind everyone of an open position we have at UNT.

We are excited to announce our search for another new colleague to join us in the Department of Technical Communication at the University of North Texas. Details appear below. If you have questions, contact me at chris.lam at unt.edu<mailto:chris.lam at unt.edu> or Kim.campbell at unt.edu<mailto:Kim.campbell at unt.edu> (Department Chair).

Chris Lam, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Technical Communication
University of North Texas
Associate Editor, Business and Professional Communication Quarterly
Christopherylam.com
312-404-2430

Clinical Assistant Professor of Technical Communication

University of North Texas

Department of Technical Communication

Position

The University of North Texas invites applications for a full-time Director of Lower Division Courses to begin in fall of 2020. The candidate will have a commitment to teaching professional and technical communication courses to a diverse student body. The candidate will report to the Department Chair and oversee the scheduling and staffing of all lower division courses; supervise and evaluate graduate student and adjunct instructors; help evaluate curricular, programming, personnel, and budgetary matters related to those courses; and monitor student enrollment in lower division courses and respond to all related inquiries. The successful candidate will have a background in administration and experience using quantitative and qualitative data.

This is a nine-month position with a workload that grants credit for administrative work and some compensation for minimal administrative duties during summer. The Director will be hired on a three-year contract, which is renewable and carries full state benefits and other perks (e.g., tuition/fee waivers for the employee and dependents).

Qualifications

Applicants must have earned a Ph.D. in technical communication, professional communication, or related field and experience teaching technical communication in higher education settings. Candidates will exhibit dedication to teaching excellence and student success across diverse student populations. Preference will be given to candidates with experience administering large, multi-section, writing-intensive courses.

 The Director of Lower Division is expected to teach 4-6 course sections per academic year.

The Department

The department is one of the few stand-alone technical communication departments in the country and the only Texas-based program located within a major metropolis. We offer the BA, BS and MA in professional and technical communication, along with an undergraduate certificate in technical writing and a graduate certificate in teaching technical writing.

We teach lower division courses to more than 3,000 students per year in our own technology-rich classrooms.

The University

The University of North Texas is a Carnegie classified Tier 1 research institution located in the Dallas-Fort Worth metropolitan area and situated less than 30 miles from the DFW International Airport. The University is located in Denton, TX, which is a culturally eclectic city that is nationally renowned for its music and culture, tech startup initiatives, and beautiful downtown area.

Application Procedures

Applicants must submit a cover letter, CV, and 1-page administrative philosophy tohttp://jobs.untsystem.edu/postings/35322  (System Identification Number:).

After initial Skype interviews, a list of three references may be requested.

Application Deadline

Review of applications begin immediately and will continue until the search is closed.

UNT is an AA/ADA/EOE