[ATTW-L] RHM Journal Authors to be Included in Best of the Journals in Rhetoric and Composition 2020

Rhetoric Healthmedicine rhmassistanteditor at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 17:54:55 UTC 2020

Colleagues,

We are thrilled to share the news that the article “‘All Smell is Disease’:
Miasma, Sensory Rhetoric, and the Sanitary-Bacteriologic of Visceral Public
Health” by Emily Winderman, Robert Mejia, and Brandon Rogers has been
selected for the highly competitive volume Best of the Journals in Rhetoric
and Composition 2020, which will be published by Parlor Press in digital
and print formats.
Please join us in congratulating the authors and editors Lisa Melonçon, J.
Blake Scott, and special issue (public health) co-editor Jennifer Malkowski
on this accomplishment!
http://journals.upress.ufl.edu/rhm/article/view/580
<http://journals.upress.ufl.edu/rhm/article/view/580?fbclid=IwAR09Qk127WnP6X7pcJNeY6dPBJCZNBs8cCaXUs8RfOdBQADaUs-JajBOeyE>
Abstract: In this essay, we interrogate the power of sensory rhetorics to
craft what Jenell Johnson (2016) defines as a “visceral public”: a public
bound by intense, shared feeling over a perceived threat of boundary
violations. Specifically, we situate miasma—that environmental degeneracy
produces bad smells carrying disease—as a historical disease etiology
overtaken, but not fully displaced, by the insights of germ theory. This
sanitary-bacteriological-synthesis is capable of constituting
visceral publics so adeptly because germ theory’s explanatory power as a
disease etiology continues to rely on the rhetoric of sight and smell as a
set of publicly accessible sensory engagements. To illustrate the raced,
classed, and gendered consequences of this
sanitary-bacteriological-synthesis, we offer a comparative analysis of two
images of disease capturing the public imagination: the early 20th century
typhoid fever and the 2015–2016 Zika virus outbreak.
Sincerely,

RHM Assistant Editors