[ATTW-L] New CDQ Article on Using Bayesian Induction Methods in Risk Communication

Luke Thominet lthomine at fiu.edu
Tue May 5 17:59:23 UTC 2020

Dear Colleagues,

Hope this email finds you all well!

Just sending a quick announcement of CDQ's new Online First article, "Using Bayesian Induction Methods in Risk Assessment and Communication<https://sigdoc.acm.org/using-bayesian-induction-methods-in-risk-assessment-and-communication/>" by J.D. Applen.

Here is the abstract for the article: Bayes's theorem allows us to use subjective thinking to find numerical values to formulate assessments of risk. It is more than a mathematical formula; it can be thought of as an iterative process that challenges us to imagine the potential for "unknown, unknowns." The heuristics involved in this process can be enhanced if they take into consideration some of the established risk assessment and communication models used today in technical communication that are concerned with the social construction of meaning and the kairos involved in rhetorical situations. Understanding the connection between Bayesian analysis and risk communication will allow us to better convey the potential for risk that is based on probabilistic assumptions.

We invite you to contribute to the conversation. If you have something that would be a good fit for Communication Design Quarterly, please look over our publication guidelines and direct inquiries or submissions to our Editor in Chief, Dr. Derek G. Ross, at derek.ross at auburn.edu<mailto:derek.ross at auburn.edu>.

Best,
Luke Thominet, PhD
Communications Manager
SIGDOC