[ATTW-L] Xchanges Spring 2020 Grad Issue Is Live!

Brian Hendrickson bhendrickson at rwu.edu
Fri May 29 14:34:43 UTC 2020

Dear All:

On behalf of the editorial team at Xchanges <http://xchanges.org>, I am
delighted to inform you that our Spring 2020 Graduate Student Issue
<http://www.xchanges.org/welcome-to-issue-15-1> is now live! This past
year, we received an unprecedented number of article-length submissions,
and with special thanks to our amazing faculty review board, we are sharing
with you here the following three full-length articles:

   - "The Shrine of Chino Mine: Extraction Rhetoric and Public Memory in
   Southern New Mexico <http://www.xchanges.org/the-shrine-of-chino-mine>"
   by Kelli R. Lycke Martin
   - "Mimetics as Digital Culture
   <http://www.xchanges.org/mimetics-as-digital-culture>" by Jacklyn Heslop
   - "Student Perceptions of Writing Instruction: Twitter as a Tool for
   Pedagogical Growth
   <http://www.xchanges.org/student-perceptions-of-writing-instruction>" by
   Sarah Lonelodge and Katie Rieger

These authors have done amazing work, and we're thankful for the
opportunity to feature it here.

This issue is for all intents and purposes a double issue, as *Xchanges*
Associate Managing Editor Al Harahap and I also had the particular pleasure
of working over the past year with graduate student leaders across a range
of graduate organizations in the field in our role as coeditors of a Symposium
on the Status of Graduate Study in Rhetoric and Composition
<http://www.xchanges.org/welcome-to-issue-15-1>. As Al and I note in our
introduction <http://www.xchanges.org/symposium-on-graduate-study-intro>,
the authors of the eleven pieces collected in this symposium "incisively
define their identities as graduate students against particular problems,
with consideration toward specific needs, and with an eye toward concrete
solutions."

   - "Editor's Introduction: Rhetoric and Composition Graduate Students
   Define Their Identities Against Dominant Narratives
   <http://www.xchanges.org/symposium-on-graduate-study-intro>" by Al
   Harahap and Brian Hendrickson | PDF
   <http://www.xchanges.org/media/blogs/xchanges/15_1/symposium-editor-intro_15-1.pdf>
   - "On the Front Lines: Graduate Student Roles in Shaping Discourse in
   Digital Spaces <http://www.xchanges.org/on-the-front-lines>" by Mandy
   Olejnik and Cara Marta Messina
   - "Subterranean Fire: The Percolating Currents of Graduate Labor
   Activism in Rhetoric and Composition
   <http://www.xchanges.org/subterranean-fire>" by Andrew Bowman and Bruce
   Kovanen
   - "Mental Health in a Disabling Landscape: Forging Networks of Care in
   Graduate School
   <http://www.xchanges.org/mental-health-in-a-disabling-landscape>" by Liz
   Miller
   - "(Re)Producing (E)Motions: Motherhood, Academic Spaces, and Neoliberal
   Times <http://www.xchanges.org/re-producing-e-motions>" by Alexandria
   Hanson, Alejandra Ramirez, April M. Cobos, Heather Listhartke, & Skye
   Roberson
   - "Doing it Herself: Cultivating a Feminist Ecological Ethos as a Female
   Graduate Student <http://www.xchanges.org/doing-it-herself>" by Sarah
   Fischer, Laura Rosche, and Megan McCool
   - "Emerging through Critical Race Theory Counter-storytelling in a
   Rhetoric and Composition Graduate Studies Context
   <http://www.xchanges.org/emerging-through-crt-counter-storytelling>" by
   Caleb Lee González
   - "Unease with a Face of Certainty: A Personal Rhetorical History of My
   Imposter Syndrome
   <http://www.xchanges.org/unease-with-a-face-of-certainty>" by Sherwin
   Kawahakui Ranchez Sales
   - "Don’t Talk About It, Be About It: A Model of Material Support for
   Black Graduate Students <http://www.xchanges.org/dont-talk-about-it>" by
   Lida Colón, Digital Black Lit and Composition (DBLAC)
   - "Mentorship, Affordability, and Equity: Ways Forward in Writing
   Program Administration
   <http://www.xchanges.org/mentorship-affordability-and-equity>" by Amanda
   Presswood and Virginia M. Schwarz, Writing Program Administrators Graduate
   Organization (WPA-GO)
   - "Opportunity/Exploitation
   <http://www.xchanges.org/opportunity-exploitation>" by Tom Polk, Alisa
   Russell, and Allie Sockwell Johnston, Writing Across the Curriculum
   Graduate Organization (WAC-GO)
   - "The Necessity of Genre Disruption in Organizing an Advocacy Space for
   and by Graduate Students
   <http://www.xchanges.org/the-necessity-of-genre-disruption>" by Ashanka
   Kumari, Sweta Baniya, and Kyle Larson

We hope you'll honor their stories, critiques, and recommendations - and
the heart-work that went into each of them - by reading them closely and
considering what you can do to contribute to a more equitable field for our
graduate student colleagues.

Please share this issue widely, use it as a teaching tool, and encourage
your undergraduate and graduate students to submit by June 30 for
consideration for next year's issues. It is our hope that *Xchanges* can
continue to serve as an important site for students in writing studies and
related fields to bring scholarly attention to the matters that matter most
to them.

Thanks as always for supporting *Xchanges*!

Brian Hendrickson, PhD
Managing Editor, Xchanges <http://xchanges.org>
Assistant Professor
Dept of Writing Studies, Rhetoric, and Composition
Roger Williams University
bhendrickson at rwu.edu
Office Phone: (401) 254-3243
Office Location: GHH 239