[ATTW-L] New CDQ Article on Political Technical Communication

Luke Thominet lthomine at fiu.edu
Fri Nov 13 19:24:04 UTC 2020

Dear Colleagues,

CDQ has a new Online First article by Ryan Cheek: “Political Technical Communication and Ideographic Communication Design in a Pre-digital Congressional Campaign<http://sigdoc.acm.org/political-technical-communication-and-ideographic-communication-design-in-a-pre-digital-congressional-campaign>” (sigdoc.acm.org/political-technical-communication-and-ideographic-communication-design-in-a-pre-digital-congressional-campaign).

Here is the abstract for the article: Building on the work of technical communication scholars concerned with social justice and electoral politics, this article examines the Coray for Congress (1994) campaign as a case study to argue in support of a more formal disciplinary commitment to political technical communication (PxTC). Specifically, it closely analyzes the ideographic communication design of pre-digital PxTC artifacts from the campaign archive. The type of pre-digital political communication design products analyzed in this article are ubiquitous even today. The implications of four dominant ideographs are analyzed in this case study: <jobs>, <communities>, <families>, and <🔴⚪🔵>. Key takeaways for PxTC practitioners, educators, and scholars are discussed.

We invite you to contribute to the conversation. Communication Design Quarterly strives to be a place open to all types of research and writing as it relates to communication design, and we welcome non-traditional work and work by emerging scholars. We also know that many of our number work outside of academia, and welcome experience reports that summarize important technologies, techniques, methods, pedagogies, or product processes. We are also interested in proposals for guest editing special issues.

And if you have something that would be a good fit for Communication Design Quarterly, please review our article guidelines<http://sigdoc.acm.org/publication/communication-design-quarterly-review/> (sigdoc.acm.org/publication/communication-design-quarterly-review/) and direct inquiries or submissions to our Editor in Chief, Dr. Derek G. Ross, at derek.ross at auburn.edu<mailto:derek.ross at auburn.edu>.

Best,
Luke Thominet, PhD
Communications Manager
SIGDOC

---
Luke Thominet, PhD
Assistant Professor, Technical and Professional Writing
English Department, Florida International University
lthomine at fiu.edu<mailto:lthomine at fiu.edu>
Pronouns: he/him/his