[ATTW-L] Fwd: the Champlain Towers South engineering report

Keisha E. McKenzie k.e.mckenzie at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 04:27:31 UTC 2021

Dear Rob, thank you for your closing query.

People in professions like medicine, psychology, and chaplaincy are
increasingly talking about how to handle "moral injury," harm from
experiencing, witnessing, or failing to stop something that violates one's
values or professional code.

Medics who've survived the pandemic to date, for instance, are still
wrestling with their inability to stop so much death over the last year.

I can imagine it being extremely helpful for engineers, doc designers, and
report writers to have discussions about moral resilience as part of their
professionalization process. Part of working with others, especially as you
begin your career, is being overruled, and not always for good reasons or
with good results.

It's important to build the capacity to grieve these experiences as part of
work rather than brush them aside as if they were marginalia without
consequence.

Keisha

Keisha E. McKenzie, PhD
McKenzie Consulting Group