[ATTW-L] the Champlain Towers South engineering report

Dragga, Sam Sam.Dragga at ttu.edu
Sat Jun 26 21:54:08 UTC 2021

A 2018 nine-page engineering report identifies issues that might have caused or contributed to the collapse of Champlain Towers South in Surfside, Florida.

The report raises important issues for technical communicators about information design. The report has no headings but alphabetizes issues A through K. The key issues related to the integrity of the building’s foundation are addressed on pages 6-9.

As I read this report, I think that a more emphatic display and organization of information could have stirred immediate action on critical repairs and saved lives. This report will likely be a salient and tragic example for classroom discussion of ineffective communication.

The report is available at https://www.townofsurfsidefl.gov/docs/default-source/default-document-library/town-clerk-documents/champlain-towers-south-public-records/8777-collins-ave---structural-field-survey-report.pdf

Sam

Sam Dragga
Professor Emeritus, Texas Tech University
sam.dragga at ttu.edu
1-806-543-6099