[ATTW-L] the Delta memo on Georgia's new voting restrictions

Dragga, Sam Sam.Dragga at ttu.edu
Wed Mar 31 21:39:54 UTC 2021

Your students might enjoy analyzing the memo released this morning by CEO Ed Bastian of Delta Airlines that criticizes the new voting restrictions in Georgia.

In addition to the opening paragraph’s virtue-claiming anecdote which delays getting to the news, the memo offers examples of plain language (e.g., “This is simply not true.”) mixed among obscure claims (e.g., “We had some success in eliminating the most suppressive tactics that some had proposed.) and nebulous promises (e.g., “Delta will continue to do everything in our power to hear and protect your voice and your rights, both in Georgia and nationwide.”).

A lively discussion could weigh the degree to which the writer comes across as ethical and courageous.

The memo is available at https://news.delta.com/ed-bastian-memo-your-right-vote.

Sam

Sam Dragga
Professor Emeritus, Texas Tech University
sam.dragga at ttu.edu
1-806-543-6099