[ATTW-L] Funded Masters in Environmental Communication at URI

Madison Jones madisonjones at uri.edu
Thu Nov 11 16:08:46 UTC 2021

Dear colleagues,

I write to announce a two-year Graduate Research Assistantship (funded for
AYs 2022-24) as part of an interdisciplinary collaboration between the
departments of Writing & Rhetoric (WRT) and Natural Resources Science (NRS)
at the University of Rhode Island (URI). The selected student would work
directly with me on research projects relating to environmental
communication and the rhetoric of science and technology as part of the DWELL
Lab <https://web.uri.edu/dwell/>, a digital initiative here at URI using
emerging technologies to promote community-engaged science and
environmental advocacy.

Interested students should apply to the Masters of Environmental Science
and Management <https://web.uri.edu/cels-gradprograms/mesm/> (M.E.S.M.)
program. Prospective students may choose between seven unique
specializations that are available within the MESM program, including
Environmental
Communication
<https://web.uri.edu/cels-gradprograms/environmental-communication/>.
Applicants to the M.S. and Ph.D. in Biological and Environmental Sciences
(BES) may also be considered for two years of funding. Full-time,
20-hour-per-week assistantships provide a stipend, health insurance,
tuition remission (up to 12 credit hours/semester) and a waiver of 20
percent of student fees. Funding is available for one year, with the
opportunity to extend for a second year contingent on performance and
academic progress.

I seek a prospective M.S. student with excellent analytical, written, and
verbal communication skills. Experience working with digital and visual
media, including AR/VR technologies (such as Unity or Vuforia) or GIS (such
as ArcGIS StoryMaps), as well as experience in science communication and/or
community-engaged advocacy are all preferred but by no means required. More
information about the position is available in the GRA funding announcement
<https://web.uri.edu/dwell/funded-graduate-research-assistantship-ay-22-23/>
.

To be considered, students must apply for Fall 2022 admission through the URI
GradCAS system <http://gradcas.liaisoncas.org/apply/>. *Interested
applicants should contact me in advance at madisonjones at uri.edu
<madisonjones at uri.edu> with a CV and a brief statement (1-2 paragraphs)
describing relevant coursework, other related experience, and why they are
interested in working with me and/or with the DWELL lab. Deadline for
consideration is Jan. 15, 2022.*

Best,

Madison

___________________________

*Madison Jones (he/him/his), Ph.D.*
Assistant Professor | Director, Dwell Lab <https://web.uri.edu/dwell/>
Departments of Writing & Rhetoric and Natural Resources Science
Harrington School of Communication and Media
University of Rhode Island
Email: madisonjones at uri.edu | Web: madisonpjones.com

[image: image.png]

*We gather as the University of Rhode Island on the traditional land of the
Niantic and Narragansett people in past and present, and honor with
gratitude the land itself and the people who have stewarded it throughout
the generations. This calls us to commit to continuing to learn how to be
better stewards of the land we inhabit as well.*