[ATTW-L] Dissertation Research on Accessible Writing Pedagogies

Kathleen Lyons lyonskm at udel.edu
Wed Sep 22 14:00:00 UTC 2021

Dear Teachers of Technical Writing:

I am writing with an open invitation to participate in an interview-based
study exploring teachers’ conceptions, commitments, and strategies related
to access in the writing classroom. This IRB-approved study is designed to
better understand the rhetorical and pedagogical decisions that teachers of
writing make to craft accessible learning environments.* If you prioritize
access in your writing pedagogy**,* I hope you will consider sharing your
experiences with me.

This project is part of my doctoral research at the University of Delaware
and is advised by Dr. Sean Zdenek and Dr. Stephanie Kerschbaum. You will
find more information below and I’m happy to answer questions off list at
lyonskm at udel.edu.

Research Approach

The anecdotes, theories, critiques, and suggested practices regarding
access present an opportunity for qualitative research that asks teachers
like yourself to discuss the decisions you make about access. In the
interviews for this study, I aim to emphasize your expertise as a teacher.
As a result, I hope to create space for us to build collective knowledge
about accessible pedagogies that foreground intersectionality and critical
disability studies methodology. The project, “A Techne of Access,” is
particularly focused on the entanglements of access across disability,
race, gender, sexuality, and class.

About the interview

The study consists of two interviews (45-60 minutes each), which we can
schedule any time *before* December 15, 2021. Interviews will be conducted
virtually using your preferred video conferencing platform. If you choose
to participate, I am happy to send along interview questions in advance as
well as all materials from the Institutional Review Board.

Accommodations are a priority for all participants.

Interviews will cover the following topics:

Interview #1: A narrative-based interview where we broadly discuss your
experiences with access as a teacher of writing.

Interview #2: A discourse-based interview where we discuss access related
to your teaching materials (i.e. syllabus and assignments).

*A quick reply to this email will get us started with scheduling next
steps. *Additionally, I would be grateful if you could pass this email
along to other writing teachers you know who are invested in access.

I greatly appreciate your time and energy engaging with this email. Please
reach out to me with questions, or contact my advisors, Sean Zdenek (
zdenek at udel.edu) and Stephanie Kerschbaum (kersch.uw at gmail.com).

Thank you,

Kathleen Lyons

PhD Candidate, University of Delaware

--
Kathleen Lyons
PhD Candidate, Department of English, University of Delaware