[ATTW-L] CFP: Parenting while PhDing

Parenting Grad School parentingwhilephding at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 14:34:06 UTC 2022

Good morning,

We welcome contributions from writers across the disciplines for our edited
collection. Please share this call in your networks, particularly with
current or past graduate student parents or colleagues who might be
interested but aren’t on the listserv. Proposals can be submitted to
parentingwhilephding at gmail.com by May 1; queries can be directed to the
same address.

CFP: PARENTING WHILE PHDing: SURVIVING AND IMPROVING THE WORKING CONDITIONS
OF GRADUATE STUDENT PARENTS

Edited by Jenna Morton-Aiken and Jackie Hoermann-Elliott

OBJECTIVE

This edited collection seeks to equip graduate student parents and those
who work with graduate student parents with tools and advice to advance a
more equitable and inclusive landscape for future graduate students,
faculty, and staff parents in higher education. We envision a collection
that draws out the stories and strategies proven to be pivotal – even life
altering, in some cases – for parents also enrolled in graduate school. We
invite contributors from all disciplines to compose short academic essays
and/or personal narratives that close with specific strategies, advice, or
even warnings about how their disciplinary training and/or lived
experiences helped them respond to the challenges of childbearing and
childrearing in the academy.

WHY THIS BOOK?

This book continues conversations started by academic mothers earlier in
the twenty-first century, acknowledging that quite a lot has changed for
parents in the last two decades. Professor Mommy, Academic Motherhood, and Mama
PhD, for example, provide some insight into how parenting can be made
possible while rising up the professorial ranks. While excellent resources,
these books don’t focus specifically on the unique challenges that graduate
student parents face, especially parents who identify as BIPOC,
transgender, queer, disabled, immigrant, multilingual/ non-native speakers,
or first-generation college students. We invite stories and advice from a
wide range of folx with the hope to expand the range of voices typically
shared in these spaces. Ultimately, this collection aims to uplift and
support current and future graduate student parents while also providing
faculty and administrators with new ideas for supporting graduate student
parents.

WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?

We define parenting in broad and inclusive terms. We welcome submissions
from writers who identify as biological, foster, adoptive, (non)custodial,
stepparents, mothers, fathers, or other primary caregivers for children. We
can also imagine possibilities for submissions from authors beyond these
commonly accepted parenting roles, too, i.e., authors who encountered
infertility, loss, or who otherwise offer interesting perspectives on
supporting graduate student parents. Our aim is to represent a diversity of
perspectives and voices from academic parents. Some ideas for contributions
include (but are not limited to):

   -

   Navigating pregnancy/adoption/parental leave in graduate school
   -

   Balancing parenting and graduate school
   -

   Negotiating the job market while pregnant or parenting
   -

   Supporting pregnant/parenting grad students as WPA/supervisor
   -

   Creating teaching/scholarly/administrative accommodations for pregnant/
   parenting graduate students
   -

   Finding or coping with lack of access to childcare
   -

   Coping with pregnancy complications, infertility, miscarriage, or infant
   loss
   -

   Caring for older children while in graduate school
   -

   Finding strategies/networks/mentors to offset negative or toxic
   reactions from immediate supervisors/mentors

We envision chapters of approximately 2-3,000 words each because we want to
offer contributors the opportunity to author shorter entries that make
publishing the viewpoints of former or current graduate student parents
more realistic than composing 7-8,000-word chapters. We also hope that
these shorter contributions make reading the collection less daunting for
interested but overwhelmed working parents.

WHAT’S THE TIMELINE?

April 5, 2022: CFP released.

May 1, 2022: Proposal submissions due.

July 15, 2022: Acceptances sent.

October 15, 2022: Complete submissions due.

January 1, 2023: Feedback provided.

HOW DO I SUBMIT?

Please send a document containing your name, preferred email address,
institutional affiliation, current title or graduate student status along
with a 250- to 300-word proposal to parentingwhilephding at gmail.com by May
1, 2022; queries can be directed to the same address.

Dr. Jackie Hoermann-Elliott

Director of First-Year Composition

Assistant Professor of English

Texas Woman’s University

P.O. Box 425829

Denton, TX 76204

jhelliott at twu.edu

Pronouns: she/ her/ hers

Sign up for office hours *here <https://jackieehelliott.youcanbook.me/>.*

Please note:  If you're receiving this message after regular work hours, I
do not expect an immediate reply.  #worklifebalance