[ATTW-L] New CDQ article on digital humanities and tech comm pedagogy

sonias sonias at knights.ucf.edu
Tue Apr 5 18:31:00 UTC 2022

Dear Colleagues,

CDQ has just published a new Online First article by Brian Ballentine, “Digital Humanities and Technical Communication Pedagogy: A Case and a Course for Cross-Program Opportunities” (https://sigdoc.acm.org/cdq/digital-humanities-and-technical-communication-pedagogy-a-case-and-a-course-for-cross-program-opportunities/).

Article Abstract: Technical communication instructors, especially those with expertise in visual rhetoric, information design, or multimedia writing are well-suited to teach an introductory Digital Humanities (DH) course. Offering a DH course provides an opportunity to reach extrafield audiences and work with students from a variety of humanities disciplines who may not have the option of taking such a course in their home department. The article advocates for a DH course that offers a methods-driven pedagogy that engages students with active learning by requiring them to research, dissect, and report on existing DH projects, as well as work with existing datasets and methods from prior student research projects or existing DH tools. The sample student project reviewed here uses the data visualization software ImagePlot, and discussion includes how the student used the tool to examine changes in brightness, hue, and color saturation, as well as calculate the total number of distinct shapes from 397 comic book covers. Ultimately, the students are tasked with developing a research question and moving to an articulated methods-driven approach for exploring the question. The student project along with the tools and sample datasets available with them are treated as a module that may be included in an introductory DH course syllabus or training session.

We invite you to contribute to the conversation. Communication Design Quarterly strives to be a place open to all types of research and writing as it relates to communication design, and we welcome non-traditional work and work by emerging scholars. We also know that many of our number work outside of academia, and welcome experience reports that summarize important technologies, techniques, methods, pedagogies, or product processes. We are also interested in proposals for guest editing special issues.

And if you have something that would be a good fit for Communication Design Quarterly, please review our article guidelines (sigdoc.acm.org/publication/communication-design-quarterly-review/) and direct inquiries or submissions to our Editor in Chief, Dr. Derek G. Ross, at derek.ross at auburn.edu.

Best,
Sonia

Dr. Sonia Stephens
Associate Professor
Department of English & Texts and Technology Program
University of Central Florida