[ATTW-L] Write It Out: 4th Annual Writing Innovation Symposium (register by 1/28)

Patrick Thomas pthomas1 at udayton.edu
Mon Jan 17 19:53:42 UTC 2022

Join us!

Write It Out, the 4th annual Writing Innovation Symposium, will take place
online and onsite February 3rd and 4th at Marquette University in
Milwaukee, WI. Hosted by the Social Innovation Initiative and the Marquette
University Libraries, this event is sponsored by Mount Mary University,
Bedford/St. Martin’s, and the Haggerty Museum of Art. The program
<https://www.marquette.edu/707-hub/writing-innovation-symposium.php#upcomingwis>
features plenary speakers Dr. Jesssica Edwards
<https://www.marquette.edu/707-hub/writing-innovation-symposium.php#Plenaryam>
and Dr. Derek Handley
<https://www.marquette.edu/707-hub/writing-innovation-symposium.php#Plenarypm>;
it also includes presentations, workshops, a combined poster
session/display, and a closing unconference.

Attendees can apply to become Bedford/St. Martin’s Writing Innovation
Scholars
<https://www.marquette.edu/707-hub/writing-innovation-symposium.php#Bedford>
through 1/21. Registration
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/write-it-out-the-2022-writing-innovation-symposium-tickets-227881428487>
is open through 1/28. Attend plenaries and panels online or join us onsite
for one or both days. Cost ranges from $25 to $80. Pre-registration is
required. Onsite there is a mask and vaccination + booster requirement.
Read on for details or visit our website:
https://www.marquette.edu/707-hub/writing-innovation-symposium.php.

The 2022 symposium theme, “write it out,” acknowledges—and celebrates—the
many ways we use writing to remember, acknowledge, and heal. It also
embraces the ways we use writing to gain clarity, assuredness, and control
in the face of uncertainty or adversity. Ultimately, writing it out helps
us “ride it out,” whatever it may be. We write out our most personal
challenges, and we write out collectively in response to shared struggles.

For the 4th annual Writing Innovation Symposium, we invite writers and
writing educators to share their strategies for “writing it out”:

Dr. Jesssica Edwards will lead the plenary workshop,“Writing to Liberate:
On Self, Community, and Meaningfulness” on Thursday, 2/3 from 9:30-11:30am
Central. Dr. Edwards writes: As we think about just how connected we are as
people and consider how “Writing it Out” aids the process of engagement, I
encourage us all to think through the possibilities of writing to liberate.
The question that we’ll explore is “How might the teaching of writing
liberate us? Our students? Our communities?” (Read more…
<https://www.marquette.edu/707-hub/writing-innovation-symposium.php#Plenaryam>
.)

Dr. Derek Handley will deliver the plenary presentation, “After the End of
America's "Longest War": Veteran Students, Civic Rhetorics, and Educational