[ATTW-L] 4 ways to use Young Scholars in Writing in your spring courses

YSW Editor youngscholars.editor at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 21:45:30 UTC 2022

Hello,
We're writing to invite our colleagues across the fields of rhetoric and
writing studies to consider how using *Young Scholars in Writing (YSW)* in
your course designs could enrich your teaching. *Young Scholars in Writing
<https://youngscholarsinwriting.org/> *is a peer-reviewed journal that
publishes research articles by undergraduates of all majors and years on
the subjects of rhetoric, writing, writers, discourse, language, and
related topics. Here are a few suggestions:

   1. *Use selected YSW articles as genre models for students. *For anyone
   teaching first-year writing courses, check out our archives for "First Year
   Spotlight Articles" that showcase the exemplary work of other first-year
   writers. If you're assigning rhetorical analyses, search our archives for
   examples of that genre. If you're assigning qualitative projects, check out
   the many examples of published undergraduate qualitative scholarship. We've
   got a wide range of exemplary genre models for various classes.
   2. *Assign YSW articles as secondary sources for your course
themes. *Whether
   you're teaching courses on feminist rhetorics, multilingualism, politics
   and rhetoric, academic writing, or something else, we've got you covered.
   Just use the search tool on our website to browse relevant articles.
   3. *Set up a conversation about research and publication for your
   students and YSW editors. *We (the YSW editors) are eager to support
   undergraduate research and are available to Zoom into your classes to
   discuss research and publication in YSW with your students. Just send us an
   email (youngscholars.editor at gmail.com) to let us know if you'd like to
   schedule a virtual meeting.
   4. *Encourage students to submit their work for publication in YSW. *If
   you've got an assignment that fits the scope of our journal (e.g., students
   are conducting primary research related to rhetoric and writing), consider
   encouraging your students to submit their work to YSW. For volume 20, we
   are accepting the following types of submissions.

   - original research articles (including those written by first-year
      students)
      - comments and responses to previous YSW articles
      - methodological reflections (detailed narrative and reflection about
      an experience using an empirical method that is in conversation with the
      literature on methods)

We've attached the CFP for *Young Scholars in Writing* and the CFP for a
special essay contest co-sponsored by YSW and Dr. Jack Selzer and the
Center for Democratic Deliberation (also attached).

We'd love to hear from you about how you use undergraduate research in your
teaching. Please be in touch!

Emily Murphy Cope, Gabriel Cutrufello, & Kimberly Fahle Peck, co-editors
Young Scholars in Writing: Undergraduate Research in Writing and Rhetoric
<https://youngscholarsinwriting.org>
York College of Pennsylvania