[ATTW-L] Daniel Defense message about Texas victims

Dragga, Sam Sam.Dragga at ttu.edu
Sun May 29 23:10:53 UTC 2022

To engage your students in a consideration of ethics in technical communication in the gun industry, consider the website of Daniel Defense (https://danieldefense.com), which at this time includes a pop-up window with the following message:

We are deeply saddened by the tragic events in Texas this week. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the

families and community devastated by this evil act.

As reported in Governor Abbott’s press conference, it is our understanding that the firearm used in the

attack was manufactured by Daniel Defense. We will cooperate with all federal, state, and local law

enforcement authorities in their investigations.

We will keep the families of the victims and the entire Uvalde community in our thoughts and our prayers.

Note how the repetition of the cliché “thoughts and prayers” likely diminishes the sincerity of the message.

Note how the DDM4 V7 AR-15 rifle in question is identified as a “firearm” instead of a $1870 semi-automatic weapon.

Note the corporate moral failure to recognize the individual “victims” as Nevaeh Alyssa Bravo, Jacklyn Cazares, Makenna Lee Elrod, Jose Manuel Flores Jr., Eliahna Garcia, Irma Garcia, Uziyah Garcia, Amerie Jo Garza, Xavier Lopez, Jayce Carmelo Luevanos, Tess Mata, Miranda Mathis, Eva Mireles, Alithia Ramirez, Annabelle Rodriguez, Maite Rodriguez, Alexandria Rubio, Layla Salazar, Jailah Nicole Silguero, Eliahana Cruz Torres, and Rojelio Torres.

Note the corporate moral failure to commit to preventive action of “tragic events” (e.g., the 223 mass shootings already this year) by supporting organized efforts to make sure that access to guns is cautious and appropriate.

Note (unless I missed it) the corporate moral failure to invest a portion of profits in the promotion of gun safety through effective laws and education programs.

Note also the corporate moral failure in how the “Company Values” page (https://danieldefense.com/company-values) makes no mention of either gun safety or public safety.

Sam

Sam Dragga
Professor Emeritus